Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What equations should I know?

1. Nov 21, 2013 #1
    I'm finishing up "intermediate algebra" and want to supplement the "college algebra " class that is focused more on business type math, with things I'll see later. What should I be concentrating my energies on learning?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2013 #2

psparky

Gold Member

Simply put, adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing are the basics of all math.....even calculus.

As far as algebra, what you do to one side of the equation, you do to the other side.
    Think of it like this: If you have 5 oranges on a table with another 5 oranges on a table you could say they are equal. If you take away 2 oranges from the one group of oranges and you want the other group to be equal, you must take away 2 oranges from that pile as well. That's it in a nutshell....algebra.

As far as what you should concentrate your "energies" on......you didn't say what you are majoring in.....electrical engineering?

4. Nov 22, 2013 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Well if you're going into business then it would be quite useful to know Probability and Statistics over Calculus. Although both would be better.

Whatever you learn now, remember that in the coming decades the things you forget first are the things you learned last so learn as much as you can, for as long as you can, before you forget why you're learning it....

5. Nov 22, 2013 #4
    We'll I thought it obvious that since I asked in the EE forum that I was looking for equations specific to EE. Was I wrong in my logic?

6. Nov 22, 2013 #5

jedishrfu

I didn't notice what forum you posted in, I saw the reference to 'business' in your post so now I guess you need to learn Calculus, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Boolean Algebra... to cover EE math.

7. Nov 22, 2013 #6

berkeman

To be honest, I was confused by your questions as well. Are you in high school, taking AP and college prep classes, or are you already in your first year at college? If the later, what other classes are you taking?

8. Nov 22, 2013 #7
    I'm just about to finish up my second semester of math, and I found out the next class I signed up for focuses more on business than on science, but still works as a pre rec (I had schedule conflicts with the other choice) I was wondering if there were equations in "college algebra" or in any other maths that I could learn on my own that might be skipped that would be useful later when I get to EE courses. Does that make more sense?

9. Nov 22, 2013 #8

berkeman

Sorry, you are in your first year of college on an EE track, and you are still taking algebra classes? That doesn't make sense to me...

10. Nov 22, 2013 #9
    It's a long story.

11. Nov 22, 2013 #10

berkeman

Okay, but you've been starting a lot of threads like this. Maybe PM me in case I can help better in private.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook