What ever happened to this dude?

• Thread starter rigetFrog
  • Start date
In summary, the lab research of Lucas Kovar has been discontinued by Wisconsin after he was hired by Google. The website he created to share his work is still up and available to be viewed, and he is still a software engineer there.
rigetFrog
I found this on the Googles while searching for band structure experiments.

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~kovar/hall.html

anyone know whatever happened to this poor guy? Maybe some one should tell Wisconsin they are providing us with great entertainment...

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
He is now a software engineer at Google.

Helpful trick: in steps, remove the last bits of a URL to reveal more general results, e.g., trying

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~kovar

reveals the name Lucas Kovar. Googling this name pulls up his LinkedIn stuff, which shows what he does now.

Likes 1 person
George Jones said:
He is now a software engineer at Google.

Helpful trick: in steps, remove the last bits of a URL to reveal more general results, e.g., trying

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~kovar

reveals the name Lucas Kovar. Googling this name pulls up his LinkedIn stuff, which shows what he does now.

Lol. Way to stalk the guy. :biggrin:

Absolute hoot...thanks for bringing back some horrid memories of the lab.

whoa, jmeps! Did you create an account just to answer this post? Have you feelings changed on that old project?

I remember showing this website to two of my professors in graduate school, my adviser almost peed his pants laughing, the other failed to find the humor in it at all...

I still laugh at it to this day because I spend more time writing code than doping real physics...

rigetFrog said:
whoa, jmeps! Did you create an account just to answer this post? Have you feelings changed on that old project?

Answer to first question, no.

Answer to second one, no.

It's not the subject matter, it's the presentation. Most amusing.

That was quite good. I like his graph. It reminds me of the data I acquired from doing a couple of experiments on my solar panels, inspired by a PF question on the subject. I decided that solar panels must be evil quantum devices, as every time I observed the data, it moved, and thus, I'm still uncertain how they really work. :tongue:

Oh dear. The things I learn, when trying to verify my wittiness: "The uncertainty principle has been frequently confused with the observer effect, evidently even by its originator, Werner Heisenberg."
:redface:

This guy really has a way with words.

Interesting. I'm a fan of the Lytro camera, which is where Chroot used to work, and one of my FB fans just got a job there. I was going to tell him to look up Chroot, and tell him hi for me, but I see that Chroot now also works at Google.

What a small, and wonderful world.

obligatory Om jingle :smile:

1. What ever happened to this dude?

The phrase "What ever happened to this dude?" is a colloquial way of asking about the current status or whereabouts of a particular person. It is often used to refer to someone who was once well-known or popular but has since fallen out of the public eye.

2. Why do people ask this question?

People may ask this question out of curiosity or to catch up on the latest news about a person they were once interested in. It may also be asked in a nostalgic or humorous manner.

3. Is there a scientific method for finding out what happened to someone?

There is no specific scientific method for finding out what happened to someone. However, there are various techniques and resources that can be used, such as conducting research, interviewing people who may have information, and using technology like social media and databases.

4. Are there any ethical considerations when investigating someone's past?

Yes, there are ethical considerations when investigating someone's past. It is important to respect the privacy and personal boundaries of the individual, and to obtain their consent if possible. It is also important to verify any information found and avoid spreading rumors or false information.

5. How can knowing what happened to someone be beneficial?

Knowing what happened to someone can be beneficial for a variety of reasons. It can provide closure for friends and family who may have lost touch with the individual. It can also serve as a cautionary tale or a source of inspiration for others. Additionally, it can contribute to research and understanding of human behavior and societal trends.