What exaclty is Mechanical Energy? Or more specificaly potential energy (the subset)

• Thread starter I-copeland
  • Start date

where did everyone go :(

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Nowhere.
Which is the same place this thread is going.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Copeland, there is no "exact answer". Could you consider an electron to have mechanical energy? Sure, in the right context and as long as you make it clear that's what you are doing.

hmmm well i wanted to connect different levels of mechanical energy to the the different levels of the energy hierarchy (entropy).

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

hmmm well i wanted to connect different levels of mechanical energy to the the different levels of the energy hierarchy (entropy).
I see no reason you cannot do this. Just realize that it probably won't be as "exact" as you were hoping.

Mechanical energy requires organization. It is part of a mechanical system in which power management accomplishes a task. Energy may be stored in systems without being present as matter, or as kinetic or electromagnetic energy. But until an outside force utilizes potential energy, mechanical energy will not exist. Refer to the laws of conservation of energy.

seems like ur saying potential energy isn't mechanical :(

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

seems like ur saying potential energy isn't mechanical :(
From wikipedia:
In physics, mechanical energy is the sum of potential energy and kinetic energy present in the components of a mechanical system.
I think that sums it up. If you stick to that you can't go wrong.

Mechanical energy is not potential energy. It is the conduit or storage of energy of a system with a set task. As it is present in the system, only after the conversion of potential energy, is it refered to as mechanical. Drakkith is correct. Notice the part that says "components of a mechanical system".

Doc Al
Mentor

Mechanical energy is not potential energy. It is the conduit or storage of energy of a system with a set task. As it is present in the system, only after the conversion of potential energy, is it refered to as mechanical. Drakkith is correct. Notice the part that says "components of a mechanical system".
You seem to be saying that potential energy is not mechanical energy, which is incorrect. Please refer to the wiki definition quoted by Drakkith. There really isn't much more to it. It's just a term of convenience.

There is a difference between potential energy existing IN mechanical energy and potential energy actually BEING mechanical energy. They are not one in the same. Mechanical energy cannot exist without potential energy. But potential energy can exist without mechanical energy.

Because I send electricity into a copper wire (example) does not mean the copper wire is also the source of energy. It is a conduit with which potential energy is stored (short version). Mechanical energy is the "copper wire" in the sense that it is an organized mechanical system with a set task.

Doc Al
Mentor

There is a difference between potential energy existing IN mechanical energy and potential energy actually BEING mechanical energy. They are not one in the same. Mechanical energy cannot exist without potential energy. But potential energy can exist without mechanical energy.

Because I send electricity into a copper wire (example) does not mean the copper wire is also the source of energy. It is a conduit with which potential energy is stored (short version). Mechanical energy is the "copper wire" in the sense that it is an organized mechanical system with a set task.
I have no idea what you think 'mechanical energy' is or what you are trying to say.

Try this: Toss a ball into the air. Define the mechanical energy of the system. Is it conserved? Why or why not?

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

I don't believe that would be mechanical energy, but electrical energy. Furthermore, given the definition of mechanical energy, I don't agree with your view that potential energy isn't mechanical energy. It doesn't HAVE to be mechanical energy, but it is part of it when appropriate.

Is there a simple way to understand the logic of the sequence of the energetic quality hierarchy?

Thanks