Comparing Structures of Democratic and Non-Democratic Governments

• Thread starter Elihu5991
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structures
In summary, democracies have more formal institutions which protect political participation and non-democracies don't?
Elihu5991
QUESTION:

" Political and legal systems are often labelled as either being 'democratic' or 'non-democratic'. Compare the structures of such systems. "

HOW?:

I look at this question and not know exactly what I am looking for. What exactly is a structure of democratic and non-democratic governments? I need to right a 600 word essay but do not know where to start.

Thankyou very much in advance o:)

Physics news on Phys.org

What features of democracies are not present in non-democracies? This is not a hard question, and 600 words is not a very long essay.

So that is what I need to research? I mention 600 words as it gives an idea of how in-depth I need to go; I have no problem writing 600 words, it isn't daunting.

If you treat political systems as a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_choice_theory" problem then the difference comes down to suffrage, i.e in more democratic systems the set of individuals/groups whose preferences taken into account is larger than the ones in more autocratic systems. For instance, expansion of the right to vote from rich men, to men who own property, to all men, then to all women increased suffrage and therefore ‘democracy’ of a political system. Rigging elections (or have no elections) reduce suffrage and ‘democracy’.

Now this might seem an overly simplistic way to distinguish the contrasting systems but it leads to a set of nuanced implications if you define (or expand the definition of) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_institutional_economics" as the formal (e.g. laws) and informal rules (e.g. customs and social norms) that govern individual behaviour and social interactions. The distinguishing feature(s) of democracies then isn’t just defined by elections and who gets vote to in those elections but includes the formal/informal rules that govern whose views count, for example, formal rules that ban/restrict political activities of certain groups of people based on their ethnicity, social-economic background, etc.. Informal rules/norm include the prevalence of political violence etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

So the structures of democracy are the ability to be able to have free speech and the government not harrasing you whilst non-democracy doesn't?

Sort of...

The questions you should be asking is who can become the ‘government’? Is the set of individuals/groups who can become the government restricted? For example, in a monarchy the government is effectively the monarch and whoever they delegate power to. In P.R China, the individuals/groups who can become ‘government’ is restricted to members of the Communist Party. But this is still a superficial way to distinguish democratic from autocratic systems. For example, until the civil rights movement was fought and won African-Americans were restricted from full political participation so does that make the US a non-democracy until 1965 when the Voting Rights Act was passed? But again this is just looking at the formal institutions. What about informal institutions? Is there a ‘culture’ where politics is open and protects participation. In the US it would be unheard of for politicians to even think of trying to ‘rig’ the vote but in some other countries considered ‘democratic' using ‘dirty’ tricks to win an election might be common practice, an accepted norm so to speak.

It’s not simple to distinguish between democracies/autocracies. It’s probably more accurate to say there are degrees of democracy and some systems are more democratic than others and to determine that you have to look at the ‘formal’ and ‘informal’ institutions of that system.

So the structures of democracy would be the formal institution (internationally recognised and established democratic nations) and 'not completely' democratic countries, like you mention with the US in its old times?

So am I correct?

What is the main difference between democratic and non-democratic governments?

The main difference between democratic and non-democratic governments is the way in which power is distributed and exercised within the government. In a democratic government, power is held by the people and exercised through elected representatives, while in a non-democratic government, power is held by a small group or individual and exercised without the consent of the people.

How do democratic and non-democratic governments handle decision-making?

In a democratic government, decision-making is typically done through a voting process, where the majority opinion is followed. This ensures that the decisions made reflect the will of the people. In a non-democratic government, decision-making is usually made by a single leader or a small group of individuals without input from the general population.

What is the role of individual rights and freedoms in democratic and non-democratic governments?

In a democratic government, individual rights and freedoms are protected and upheld by the government. These rights are enshrined in the constitution and cannot be taken away without due process. In a non-democratic government, individual rights and freedoms may be limited or non-existent, as the government holds most if not all power.

Which type of government is more likely to promote equality and social justice?

Democratic governments are more likely to promote equality and social justice, as they are accountable to the people and must work towards the betterment of society as a whole. Non-democratic governments may prioritize the interests of the ruling elite, leading to inequality and social injustice.

What are the potential drawbacks of both democratic and non-democratic governments?

One potential drawback of democratic governments is that decision-making can be slow and inefficient, as it requires consensus from multiple parties. Non-democratic governments, on the other hand, may be prone to corruption and abuse of power by the ruling elite. Additionally, the lack of checks and balances in non-democratic governments can lead to violations of human rights and suppression of dissenting voices.