1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What exactly constitutes and Equation of State?

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    What exactly constitutes an Equation of State?

As the title says I'm not quite sure what I need to get to have an equation of state in thermodynamics.

I think I understand that an equation of state is an equation that relates different state variables of the system such as volume, temperature, pressure, chemical potential, etc...
    However, I am not sure how to know exactly which variables to find a relation between.

For example isn't this the equation of state for an ideal gas? [tex]U=\frac{3}{2}Nk_{b}T[/tex]
    So that is a relation between the number of particles, internal energy, and temperature.

We've also done problems where we find from a given Gibbs Free Energy the equation of state of some gas and the final relation is between volume, pressure, and temperature.

So how do I know which variables to get a relation between?
    For example we have another problem where given entropy (as a function of energy; with volume constant) find the equation of state.

I didn't ask this in the homework section because it's not a question about my homework.. sure it might help on my homework but I am not asking about a specific problem, my issue is conceptual. It's something I'm confused about in general.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted