Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What exactly cosmology means?

1. Jun 30, 2004 #1
    Hi.
    I just wanted you to tell me does exactly cosmology means???
    and about the works done in it.
    thanks in advanced.
    somy :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2004 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

Cosmology is the study of the entire universe as a single system.

4. Jul 5, 2004 #3
    Dear LURCH:
    can you explain more about it ???
    I mean the results of this assumpsion.
    Thanks in advanced :smile:

5. Jul 14, 2004 #4
    explain more about cosmology?
    what do you wish to know?

6. Jul 15, 2004 #5

LURCH

Science Advisor

The Big Bang theory is probably the best place to start. You see, in astronomy an observatory may detect that a star is moving away from us (the Earth). The same telescope (or another) might lok in the opposite direction and see that a star over there is miving away from us as well. These are astronomical observations; such and such a star moving at such and such a speed.

When many of these observations are put together to form a single coherent picture of the universe, i.e., "all of the stars are moving away from us, and the more distant ones are moving more rapidly", that is cosmology. From this observation, it was concluded that in the past, all the stars were closer together. The further back in the past we look, the the closer together the stars would be. Therefore, if we look far enough back, all the stars were together in one place. This is the big bang theory, and it is a cosmological model.

7. Jul 17, 2004 #6
    Thanks LURCH.
    Another question:
    You talked about the speed of expantion and that, the farther stars expand with a higher speed. can you tell me about the relativity and the limit of light's speed???
    Thanks alot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?