1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What exactly does Heine do?

1. Jan 6, 2005 #1
    Hi all,

when our teacher shows us the computing of some limit of sequence, he does this:

\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{n + n - n + 2*n}{\sqrt{n + 1}} =^{Heine} \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{x + x - x + 2*x}{\sqrt{x + 1}}

He just switches the variable letters from 'n' to 'x' and claim the limit to be limit of the function. I don't understand the idea..We had Heine's theorem at the very beginning of limit of functions, it has something to do with the relationship between sequences and functions, but I THINK it doesn't (at least explicitly) say us to switch letters :)

Thank you for the explanation.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Switching Letters" is purely cosmetic. You COULD use x to represent only integer values or use n to represent a real variable. It is, however, "traditional" (and so more familiar) to use n to represent integer values, as in a sequence, and use x to represent real variables, as in a function defined on R.

What you call "Heine" is just stating that limx->cf(x)= L then approaching c by any sequence of numbers (i.e. limn->inf(xn)) must also have L as a limit. In particular, if limx->inff(x)= L, then the sequence taking x to be only integer valued must also converge to L.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?