Solve Ra[bcd]=0: What Permutations Work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Bianchi identity and its implications for the Riemann tensor. The identity states that for any combination of indices, Rabcd+Racdb+Radbc=0. However, the identity only provides useful information when the indices are all different, allowing for a reduction in the number of independent components by one.
Kevin McHugh
Given: Ra[bcd] = 0
What permutations of bcd make this expression 0? TIA for your response.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kevin McHugh said:
Given: Ra[bcd] = 0
What permutations of bcd make this expression 0? TIA for your response.
Rabcd+Racdb+Radbc=0

I think this is an anti-symmetrised tensor, not a symmetrised one, isn't it?

Ibix said:
I think this is an anti-symmetrised tensor, not a symmetrised one, isn't it?

Yes it is an antisymmetric tensor.

Samy_A said:
Rabcd+Racdb+Radbc=0

Samy, I'm afraid I'm too thick to understand your answer. Can you elaborate further please? IIRC, this expression only eliminates one expression from the 21 possible components.

I'm pretty new to index gymnastics too, so check what I am saying with other sources.

I think Samy has written ##R_{a (bcd)}##, not ##R_{a [bcd]}##. The latter is ##R_{abcd}- R_{acbd} +R_{acdb} -R_{adcb} +R_{adbc} -R_{abdc}=0##. Note that every ordering of the last three indices appears and that any pair of orderings that you can make by swapping two indices have opposite signs.

Both Samy's and my expressions are interpreted to mean that for any a, b, c, d, that statement must be valid. Because you are permuting b, c and d, though, there is a lot of replication in the expressions. a,b,c,d=0,1,2,3 and 0,1,3,2 yield identical expressions, for example.

What I'm looking for is a rule to help me understand. For instance, for R[ab][cd], R = 0 when a=b and c=d. Is there similar rule for the antisymmetric part of [bcd]?

It's possible, for example, that Samy has used the symmetries of the Riemann tensor to simplify his expression. I'd need to think about it with a pen and paper.

Perhaps best to wait for Samy or someone else to clarify...

Ibix said:
The latter is ##R_{abcd}- R_{acbd} +R_{acdb} -R_{adcb} +R_{adbc} -R_{abdc}=0##.

Since ##R_{pqdc}=-R_{pqcd}##, you can write the left-hand side as
##R_{abcd}- (-R_{acdb}) +R_{acdb} -(-R_{adbc}) +R_{adbc} -(-R_{abcd})=2(R_{abcd}+R_{acdb}+R_{adbc})##

Likes Ibix
Ok. The Riemann tensor is anti-symmetric in its last two indices. That is, ##R_{abcd}=-R_{abdc}##. So my expression (correct for a general four index tensor) simplifies to Samy's in the case of the Riemann tensor.

Edit: ...as robphy just pointed out.

Samy's expression is not ##R_{a (bcd)}##. Forget I said that.

I'm going to shut up now before I confuse anything even worse.

My apologies, I thought R was the Riemann tensor.

No apologies Samy, it is the Riemann tensor.

Am I not being clear in my question? Nobody has yet answered it. What combinations of [bcd] make Ra[bcd] zero?

Kevin McHugh said:
No apologies Samy, it is the Riemann tensor.
Indeed. It was me who was confused, not you, @Samy_A

Kevin McHugh said:
Am I not being clear in my question? Nobody has yet answered it. What combinations of [bcd] make Ra[bcd] zero?
Any combination (if we interpret the expression as I did in post ##2).

Kevin McHugh said:
Samy_A said:
Any combination (if we interpret the expression as I did in post ##2).
To elaborate on this, the first Bianchi identity Rabcd+Racdb+Radbc=0 is true for any combination of indices, but not all combination yield interesting information.

Let's take the case where a=b.
We then have Raacd+Racda+Radac=0.
But Raacd=0.
Also Racda=Rdaac=-Radac, so the identity ends up telling us that 0=0 in case a=b. And similarly for a=c or a=d.

Let's take the case where b=c.
Rabbd+Rabdb+Radbb=0.
Here Radbb=0, and Rabbd=-Rabdb, so again the identity ends up telling us that 0=0 in case b=c.

The Bianchi identity is only interesting when the indices are all different, and by the symmetries of the Riemann tensor, it allows you to reduce the number of independent components by one.

1. What does "solve Ra[bcd]=0" mean?

The equation "Ra[bcd]=0" is a mathematical expression that indicates a system of equations with unknown variables, represented by the letters a, b, c, and d, that need to be solved in order to obtain a solution that makes the whole expression equal to 0.

2. What is a permutation?

A permutation is an arrangement of objects in a specific order. In the context of solving equations, a permutation refers to a specific arrangement of the unknown variables that can be used to solve the equation.

3. How do I know which permutations work to solve this equation?

In order to determine which permutations work, you can plug each permutation into the equation and see if it results in a solution that makes the equation equal to 0. The permutations that work will result in a solution, while the ones that do not work will result in a non-zero value.

4. Are there any shortcuts for finding the correct permutations?

There are some strategies that can help you find the correct permutations more efficiently. For example, you can use the properties of the equation, such as symmetry or patterns, to eliminate certain permutations and focus on the ones that are more likely to work.

5. Can I use a computer to find the solutions for this equation?

Yes, you can use a computer or a mathematical software program to solve equations with unknown variables, such as "solve Ra[bcd]=0". These tools use algorithms to quickly find the solutions, making the process more efficient and accurate.