What exactly does without loss of generality mean

• Thread starter BicycleTree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loss Mean
In summary, "without loss of generality" means that a specific case can be used to represent all possible cases. This can be justified by having a method to convert the general case to the specific case. However, it is important to ensure that the problem has not been changed by relabeling variables. In formal logic, this can be represented by expressing a proof that the general case can be reduced to the specific case. Overall, "without loss of generality" and other similar phrases serve to simplify proofs and collapse multiple cases into one.
BicycleTree
What exactly does "without loss of generality" mean

What exactly does "without loss of generality" mean and how can you formally tell when you are justified in using it? I understand what it means and how to use it informally but is there formal justification for it?

When you say "WLOG let a R b" I know that you can't have already said anything about a or b that affects whether a R b. But that doesn't seem very precise.

It seems like you need to know that a R b "is not ruled out" by what has been said so far. But is there even a formal way to keep track of what "has been ruled out" and what has not?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can use WLOG when you have a method for converting the general case to a specific case.

For example, if I'm trying to prove something about two arbitrary real numbers a and b, then I can say "WLOG let a <= b" because given any general case (arbitrary a and b) can be converted into a case where a <= b.

The key to justifying this is that you must be able to convert every general case to the specific case.

Okay, so basically if you can re-assign names so that the condition is true under any circumstance, you can use WLOG. "If !(a <= b) then let a1 = b and b1 = a, and then refer to a1 as a and b1 as b." But you still need to know if you've already ruled it out. For example:
Code:
Assume a > b
  WLOG let a <= b
  a > b and !(a > b)
So by contradiction !(a > b)
That's incorrect--but logically how would you tell?

The relabelling can't change the problem.

If the problem, thus far, is "let A and B be real numbers", then relabelling them doesn't change the problem.

If the problem, thus far, is "let A and B be real numbers with A < B", then relabelling does change the problem, so it can't be done.

The use of "without loss of generality" is to collapse several cases into one case. When we have "let A and B be real numbers", then there are two cases:

case 1: A <= B

case 2: B <= A

But if we relabel case 2, we obtain case 1 exactly.

Another way of saying it might be:

Let A and B be real numbers. We may relabel the variables so that A <= B...

If the problem, thus far, is "let A and B be real numbers with A < B", then relabelling does change the problem, so it can't be done.
Okay--so then you have an additional statement, "A < B," that _prevents_ an inference (WLOG let A <= B). I'm thinking either there is another way to describe the rules on WLOG, or there are kinds of formal logic that include one statement preventing the inference of another. That's ringing a bell on existential instantiation, but I'm not sure it applies. Otherwise, WLOG does not have a direct counterpart in formal logic, and all proofs involving WLOG would have to be much longer in formal logic because all possibilities must be considered.

BicycleTree said:
Okay--so then you have an additional statement, "A < B," that _prevents_ an inference (WLOG let A <= B). I'm thinking either there is another way to describe the rules on WLOG, or there are kinds of formal logic that include one statement preventing the inference of another. That's ringing a bell on existential instantiation, but I'm not sure it applies. Otherwise, WLOG does not have a direct counterpart in formal logic, and all proofs involving WLOG would have to be much longer in formal logic because all possibilities must be considered.

My guess is that whether or not you can convert "WLOG let ..." into formal logic depends on whether or not you can express your proof that the general case can be reduced to the specific case in formal logic.

I have once seen opinion expressed that people should not use "without loss of generality" or "by symmetry, the same is true for the other cases".

Anyways, they boil down to this, formally:

Suppose you have a proof that [itex]\forall a, b \in \mathbb{R}: a \leq b \implies P(a, b)[/itex].

Then, we can conclude: [itex]\forall a, b \in \mathbb{R}: P(a, b) \vee P(b, a)[/itex].

I see... so you don't directly replace the variables, but you make a new proof for general variables which you then apply.

i explain it to students as:

we have two possible choices we could make, either choice results in the same outcome, usually after relabelling variables.

1. What does "without loss of generality" mean in scientific research?

"Without loss of generality" is a phrase commonly used in scientific research to indicate that a statement or finding holds true in all cases, without needing to specify particular conditions or exceptions. It is a way to simplify and generalize a concept or result without compromising its validity.

2. How is "without loss of generality" used in mathematical proofs?

In mathematical proofs, "without loss of generality" is often used to establish a problem or concept as valid for all cases by showing that it is true for a specific case, without needing to prove it for every possible case. This allows for a more concise and efficient proof without sacrificing its rigor.

3. Can "without loss of generality" be used in experimental design?

Yes, "without loss of generality" can be applied in experimental design to justify the use of a specific sample or population as representative of a larger population. This is particularly useful when it is not feasible or practical to test every individual or element in a population.

4. Is "without loss of generality" the same as assuming something is true?

No, "without loss of generality" is not the same as assuming something is true. While it may involve making assumptions or simplifications, the phrase is used to indicate that these do not affect the validity or generalizability of the results. It is a way to strengthen the argument or conclusion, rather than weaken it.

5. Why is "without loss of generality" important in scientific communication?

In scientific communication, "without loss of generality" is important because it allows for a more concise and clear presentation of complex ideas or findings. It also helps to avoid repetition and unnecessary details, making it easier for readers to understand and evaluate the research. Additionally, it demonstrates the rigor and validity of the research by showing that the results hold true in all cases.