What is the meaning of ecosphere?

• Thread starter icakeov
  • Start date
In summary, the word ecosphere can have multiple meanings, including "a planetary closed ecological system" and "a load of rubbish to the tip."
icakeov
Hi I have been trying to narrow down what exactly the word ecosphere defines, I have found multiple results:

- "physiological atmosphere" where humans are able to breathe
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ecosphere

- "biosphere" a.k.a. ecosphere:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosphere

- "a planetary closed ecological system"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecosphere_(planetary)

I personally like the last one but would be nice if the word meant exclusively one thing.
Any thoughts or feedback appreciated.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Welcome to the real world!
To show what I mean: let's look at the word tip
I left the waiter a tip.
My doctor gave me a lifesaving health tip.
Kids used to tip me over as a joke.
Be careful, a small change in data can tip the result the other way.

Point: English words vary by context. One word, tip, has different meanings: Money left on a table, useful advice, push off balance, a change in standings or stance.
Also a lot of words for new scientific results are coined by media types. Sometimes they do not talk to one another when they do this, and we, the long suffering readers, get word salad. (PF term for senseless blather, and chopped up edible greens as well!)

Likes icakeov
:) Point taken. Thanks Jim.
It was really throwing me off and then I started realizing it didn't mean the one thing I thought it meant.

jim mcnamara said:
Welcome to the real world!
To show what I mean: let's look at the word tip
I left the waiter a tip.
My doctor gave me a lifesaving health tip.
Kids used to tip me over as a joke.
Be careful, a small change in data can tip the result the other way.

and for fun, another variation you may not use in your country

I took a load of rubbish to the tip ( rubbish dump, refuse collection point) :biggrin:

Likes icakeov
Tip has done well for itself. From where I grew up, “gore gore gore gore” means “up there hills burn worse”.

1. What is an ecosphere?

An ecosphere is a self-sustaining, enclosed ecosystem that contains plants, animals, and microorganisms. It is designed to mimic the natural environment and can be used for educational or decorative purposes.

2. How does an ecosphere work?

An ecosphere works by creating a balance between the living organisms and the environment within the enclosed space. The plants produce oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide, while the animals and microorganisms consume oxygen and release carbon dioxide. This cycle of gas exchange, along with the recycling of nutrients, allows the ecosphere to sustain itself without needing any outside inputs.

3. What are the benefits of having an ecosphere?

Ecospheres can provide a low-maintenance way to observe and learn about ecosystems. They also serve as a reminder of the delicate balance of nature and the importance of preserving our environment. Additionally, ecospheres can add a sense of tranquility and natural beauty to a space.

4. Can an ecosphere be opened and maintained?

While some ecospheres are advertised as being self-sustaining and never needing to be opened, it is recommended to open and maintain them every 6-12 months. This involves removing any dead organisms, adding new plant material, and replenishing the water supply. However, it is important to follow the instructions provided with the ecosphere and not open it more frequently than recommended.

5. How long do ecospheres last?

The lifespan of an ecosphere can vary depending on factors such as the size of the ecosystem, the type of organisms inside, and how well it is maintained. On average, ecospheres can last anywhere from 2-10 years. However, with proper care, some ecospheres have been known to last even longer.