Exploring the Concept of Energy: Potential, Kinetic & Beyond

• Thread starter Curious6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, we discussed the two forms of energy, potential energy and kinetic energy, and how they can take on different forms such as thermal energy, elastic potential energy, and gravitational potential energy. We also questioned how this energy is stored in particles and whether matter is a form of energy. Energy is a concept that is used to maintain conservation and can be seen in everyday life through movement and natural phenomena. The speed of light, c, plays a crucial role in the relationship between mass and energy. However, some argue that the idea of "the energy of light" may be more philosophical than scientific. Lastly, it is important to note that mass cannot travel at the speed of light, as this is a unique property of light itself.
Curious6
I know this question may sound a bit basic, but it is actually quite interesting. We know the two forms of energy are potential energy and kinetic energy, and that these forms of energy can be in many forms (e.g. thermal energy, elastic potential energy, gravitational potential energy...). However, what I don't really understand is, how is this energy actually stored? By this I mean, for example, how is kinetic and potential energy stored in terms of particles. Has it got to do with the amount of vibration or the separation between the particles? Also, if matter is equivalent to energy is matter therefore a form of energy? I'm sorry if it sounds confusing but I just find energy a really hard concept to visualise, it's not something easy to visualise such as matter. I would appreciate any help given.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't wish to visualize it, you don't have to. I prefer to think of energy as a bookkeeping concept. No one has seen energy, or felt it, etc. In fact, you might even say we concocted the concept in such a way that it always appears conserved. For example, when matter disappears in a reaction and kinetic energy is gained by the surrounding particles, we notice the relationship between mass and released energy and set m = E/c2 so that it appears energy only changes form. However, it provides such a conveniant analogy that one would be hardpressed to overlook it. By using concepts of energy we can avoid manipulating the time variable and therefore skirt issues in problems that would otherwise require being dealt with more upfront. Also, one look at a potential function graph can almost immediatly give an idea of the motion of a body.

you feel energy and see it in every day life , the movement of the winds , lightning, etc
thats my only quam with wat you said suffian

I agree completely with suffian. The history of "energy" has been that we keep adding new kinds of energy in order to maintain "conservation of energy"! Including, with the advent of relativity, considering mass as a kind of energy!

The unique energy existing in the universe is energy of light. It as the speed of light absolute too. All other speeds and energy are relative. They are consequence of properties of light. It is not casual that value of speed of light is present at the mass- energy relation.

Michael.

Actually that c comes from Permittivity and permeability of free space... electromagnetism stuff. It is also not casual that e is every where as well. If anything you're describing things in a very mathematical sense.

Agreed. To follow up on your argument, you could replace c with [tex]/epsilon[/tex] and [tex]/mu[{tex], et voila: you have those two popping up in every other equation.
"The energy of light" sounds almost philosophical.

Moe said:
Agreed. To follow up on your argument, you could replace c with [tex]/epsilon[/tex] and [tex]/mu[{tex], et voila: you have those two popping up in every other equation.
"The energy of light" sounds almost philosophical.
“The energy of light” looks not philosophically when the beam of laser burns metal, for example.

When traveling at c, does mass gain or loose energy?

Theoretically speaking of course.

Imparcticle said:
When traveling at c, does mass gain or loose energy?

Theoretically speaking of course.
Mass can't travel at c. This is privilege of light only.

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work and make things happen. It is present in all things and can take various forms such as heat, light, electricity, or motion.

2. How is energy measured?

Energy is measured using a unit called joule (J). Other commonly used units of energy include kilojoules (kJ), calories (cal), and kilocalories (kcal).

3. What are the different types of energy?

There are various forms of energy, including kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat), chemical energy (stored in chemical bonds), and nuclear energy (stored in the nucleus of an atom).

4. How is energy transferred or converted?

Energy can be transferred from one object to another or converted from one form to another. For example, when we plug in a device, electrical energy is transferred to it and converted into other forms of energy such as light or sound.

5. Where does energy come from?

Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be converted from one form to another. The ultimate source of energy on Earth is the Sun, which provides light and heat energy. Other sources of energy include fossil fuels, wind, water, and the Earth's internal heat.