Why is fire considered a chemical reaction?

• Thread starter losang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fire
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between a sensation of something burning and something actually burning, the relationship between large and small scales in science, the distinction between physics and philosophy, and the limitations of human understanding in scientific investigations. The participants also address the suggestion to visit the philosophy forum and the role of non-modern thinkers in scientific discoveries.
losang
Originally posted by russ_watters
Sure feels like its burning to me. The sensation hasn't changed, so how do I know it isn't burning anymore?
Your finger appears to be 'buring' because you touched something hot. This is a different from something actually burning.

Science has to be more specific than you are being, otherwise our understanding of phenomena decreases with every answer. I realize you're new here, but how did you miss the name of the forum? In any case, we do have a philosophy forum here - perhaps you'd be more comfortable there.
First off, don't assume my level of physics knowledge.

Being able to explain something in terms of smaller objects does not imply that our knowledge of that phenomena is growing. There is a dependent relationship between the large and small scales.

In actuality science is decreasing our knowledge of the world. If a method of investigation is correct then the more subtle the level of investigation the clearer the object of investigation should become. If we take QM as an example the more it is investigated by scientists the more confusing it gets. Take the wave-particle duality for example.

Many of the things that science is correct about have been known for a long time by so called 'non-modern' thinkers.

When you are discussing the reality of something it doesn't matter if you call it physics or philosophy. If it exists it can be established as such.

I would be more comfortable if you could answer my question. I believe it is valid and important.

One unfortunate observation I have made is that in the physics forums it appears that most people just want to show others what they know and answer questions. Whenever a question comes up that challenges their
explanation I always get suggestions to visit the philosophy room.

Physics news on Phys.org
losang: One unfortunate observation I have made is that in the physics forums it appears that most people just want to show others what they know and answer questions. Whenever a question comes up that challenges their explanation I always get suggestions to visit the philosophy room.

By answering questions, people consequently show others what they know. That can't be helped. I don't see the problem. Aren't you trying to show us what you know? Frankly, you haven't shown us anything except arguments with other peoples answers without offering a useful answer of your own.

You have made five posts, all in this thread, and only once has it been suggested that you visit the philosophy forum. You make it sound as if this happens often. I wonder how that can be?

In actuality science is decreasing our knowledge of the world. If a method of investigation is correct then the more subtle the level of investigation the clearer the object of investigation should become. If we take QM as an example the more it is investigated by scientists the more confusing it gets. Take the wave-particle duality for example.
There is a serious (philosophical) flaw in your argument. The difficulty of understanding is an indicator of our intuitive failings, and not real knowledge. If we are to follow that line of hypothesis, we end with a knowledge based purely on definitions, culminating in the fatal acceptance of knowing nothing. Or worse, everything.

The analogy is of looking at a landscape. It is inevitable that seeking greater detail reveals further features we wish to observe. But that does not defeat the clarity we acheived, rather that our demands are infinite.

Being able to explain something in terms of smaller objects does not imply that our knowledge of that phenomena is growing. There is a dependent relationship between the large and small scales.
The smallness is a diversion. It would be convenient to declare entity small enough to be invisible, but that is not good science. Good science is a matter of consistency with what else we know, and being efficient at explaining/predicting.

Many of the things that science is correct about have been known for a long time by so called 'non-modern' thinkers.
Popper may aid us here. Our so called 'non-modern' thinkers may have conceived of some ideas we now discover are (as far as we know) true, but those were stuck in a sludge of things that are stupid, ridiculous, or just plain wrong. Part of science is concerned with getting rid of that sludge, and purifying down the ideas to the good ones.

If you believe that there is no distinction between physics and philosophy, then go ahead. But until that distinction has been dispeled, it still exists in the minds of most people, and the existence of the separated forums with the appropiate guidelines was made to accommodate these people, whether they are right or not. If you cannot in any way stand by the guidelines, then the honest thing to do is to leave, rather than try to make other members suffer.

Last edited:
Originally posted by FZ+
There is a serious (philosophical) flaw in your argument. The difficulty of understanding is an indicator of our intuitive failings, and not real knowledge. If we are to follow that line of hypothesis, we end with a knowledge based purely on definitions, culminating in the fatal acceptance of knowing nothing. Or worse, everything.

The analogy is of looking at a landscape. It is inevitable that seeking greater detail reveals further features we wish to observe. But that does not defeat the clarity we acheived, rather that our demands are infinite.

The smallness is a diversion. It would be convenient to declare entity small enough to be invisible, but that is not good science. Good science is a matter of consistency with what else we know, and being efficient at explaining/predicting.
This all makes absolutely no sense. Comming from someone who is afraid to know everything I guess it is expected.

Popper may aid us here. Our so called 'non-modern' thinkers may have conceived of some ideas we now discover are (as far as we know) true, but those were stuck in a sludge of things that are stupid, ridiculous, or just plain wrong. Part of science is concerned with getting rid of that sludge, and purifying down the ideas to the good ones.
I don't care what Popper says. I want to know what you have to say. Anyways, Popper is wrong. How much of this non-modern thinking have you actually studied? Are you thinking for yourself or just quoting Popper? I really don't care if you can quote anyone. Christians quote the bible.

If you believe that there is no distinction between physics and philosophy, then go ahead. But until that distinction has been dispeled, it still exists in the minds of most people, and the existence of the separated forums with the appropiate guidelines was made to accommodate these people, whether they are right or not. If you cannot in any way stand by the guidelines, then the honest thing to do is to leave, rather than try to make other members suffer.
I never said there was no distinction. REAd my posts.

Originally posted by losang
(SNIP) I never said there was no distinction. REAd my posts. (SNoP)
I did it says:
When you are discussing the reality of something it doesn't matter if you call it physics or philosophy. If it exists it can be established as such.
And YUP! it matters which of the two terms you use, if you would wish to stick with the rest of the groups discussion...don't you think?

Aside from that, try starting a thread in Philosophy on "Exactly what fire is" and I can assure you, with the people in these forums, being intelligent, you will get a range of answers that simply would not be appropriate in the General/Classical Physics category, same when inverted.

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
I did it says:
And YUP! it matters which of the two terms you use, if you would wish to stick with the rest of the groups discussion...don't you think?

Aside from that, try starting a thread in Philosophy on "Exactly what fire is" and I can assure you, with the people in these forums, being intelligent, you will get a range of answers that simply would not be appropriate in the General/Classical Physics category, same when inverted.
Exactly I said it doesn't matter if you call it physics or philosophy. The word OR here does not imply they are the same.

In responce to your 2nd paragraph above. If the answer one gives to a question is correct it can't be contradicted by another answer. That is, if two descriptions of a phenomena are mutually exclusive they both can't be describing the phenomena correctly.

Your finger appears to be 'buring' because you touched something hot. This is a different from something actually burning.
My question was HOW DO YOU KNOW? Just saying its different doesn't explain anything.
By answering questions, people consequently show others what they know. That can't be helped. I don't see the problem.
Nor do I. If the goal is to learn, asking an answering questions helps both the asker and askee.

Exactly I said it doesn't matter if you call it physics or philosophy. Exactly! Cause it does matter...that is the point of the second paragraph! The word OR here does not imply they are the same.

In responce to your 2nd paragraph above. If the answer one gives to a question is correct it can't be contradicted by another answer. That is, if two descriptions of a phenomena are mutually exclusive they both can't be describing the phenomena correctly.
As for your 'second paragraph' you have just (successfully) defeated your own argument! Accuracy counts, at least according to you it does...

This all makes absolutely no sense. Comming from someone who is afraid to know everything I guess it is expected.
Very interesting. Your idea of a discussion seems to be related to fleeing the opponent's points.

In other words, the above is saying that knowedge amounting to a description of the phenomena (or worse, the basic sensory events that often appear with a phenomena), without attempting to describe it in detail, without trying to relate it to what else you know, without trying to gauge a cause, without the potential of generating other questions is useful only to help name things and is really no knowledge at all.

What is rejected is not the goal of knowing everything - that is the goal of science - what is rejected is the acceptance that you already know everything, which can only be a lie.

I don't care what Popper says. I want to know what you have to say. Anyways, Popper is wrong. How much of this non-modern thinking have you actually studied? Are you thinking for yourself or just quoting Popper? I really don't care if you can quote anyone. Christians quote the bible.
Again, fleeing the point. Add a little ad hominem for a start.

(Interesting contradiction though. You attack science for not taking what these "non-modern" men have known, and you reject Popper for his lack of modernity!)

The point is this: the fact that some of the modern ideas were considered in the past is an irrelevance, if the wrong ideas were also present.

I do not care what the Christian quote. Why do you care?

I never said there was no distinction. REAd my posts.
Then you'll agree to post in the philosophy forum, where this stuff belongs? Or are you just going to be obnoxious until this topic is locked?

Last edited:
*Glad* I missed that one.

Not entirely sure. In one tenzin is (apparently) expecting infinite reductibility, and in the other losang is asking us to accept no attempt at reductive logic at all.

Like I said I'm not sure. I was comparing the argumentative styles.

tenzin: Both philosohy and physica are concerned with what exists. Since philosophy understands what is necessary for something to exist it is superior. You physicists don't even know what criteria something must have to exist. You think that everything that exists must be detectable with one of the 5 senses. You have no idea how limited your knowledge and methods are.

losang: When you are discussing the reality of something it doesn't matter if you call it physics or philosophy. If it exists it can be established as such.

Moderator note: I'll check on tenzin/losang...

- Warren

As for your 'second paragraph' you have just (successfully) defeated your own argument! Accuracy counts, at least according to you it does...
I don't see a reason for your comment.

Again, fleeing the point. Add a little ad hominem for a start.

(Interesting contradiction though. You attack science for not taking what these "non-modern" men have known, and you reject Popper for his lack of modernity!)
There is no contradiction. You don't understand what I put. What I am saying is that a lot of things that are claimed to be discovered by science have already been established. It is like saying Columbus discovered America.

The point is this: the fact that some of the modern ideas were considered in the past is an irrelevance, if the wrong ideas were also present.
So Maxwell's work on electro-dynamics is irrelevant because the idea of absolute space and time was also present?

I don't see a reason for your comment.
Then just keep thinking about it...

Then just keep thinking about it...
OK. Let me stop trying to be nice. What you said has no supporting reason. If you make a statement it is up to you to provide a reason. Not up to me to look for your reason. If I really wanted I could explain to you why you are wrong but I was giving you the chance to support what you said.

I will give you a full commentary on this discussion.

This was originally posted by someone...

I responded...

Exactly I said it doesn't matter if you call it physics or philosophy. The word OR here does not imply they are the same.

What the other person was saying is that it matters if you call is physics or philosophy. I was saying it doesn't matter which of the two you call it because both are methods used to investigate reality.

In his second paragraph he says...

...you will get a range of answers that simply would not be appropriate in the General/Classical Physics category...

Again this is incorrect. The answers would be appropriate because whether it is physics or philosophy they are both getting at the same thing, reality. Therefore, if physics is seeking to describe reality and then someone doing so called 'philosophy' comes along and trys to explain the same phenomena both are appropriate. The problem comes from making such a sharp distinction between physics and philosophy.

Not that I think they were that great of thinkers but when Bohr and Einstein had their debate that was philosophy virtually by definition.

You see, your problem is that you really don't seem to know what you mean by philosophy and maybe even what you mean by physics. It was also unfortunate that you did not provide an answer but told me to keep thinking about it. You see I see no contradiction and my logic is very clean. It is not my job to try to figure out how your incorrect logic is working by trying to infer what you reason was. You see, it is not up to me to understand your incorrect thinking. Next time just give an answer and be bold enough to stand by your claim as opposed to hiding behind some vail which I can see right through.

(SNIP) What the other person was saying is that it matters if you call is physics or philosophy. I was saying it doesn't matter which of the two you call it because both are methods used to investigate reality. (SNoP)
Yup! DIFFERENT METHODS!...physics requires substantiable proofs, Philosophy, NAH!...BIG DIFFERENCE! (this, apparently, you couldn't figure out!)

as for your last paragraph, apply it to yourself, and you just might (For once? or, for the first time?) learn something about yourself as it applies to you, waaaay more, then me!

Thanks, BYE!

At page 2 of this thread I already saw it as superfluous arguments. Seems like lang just wants to argue with everyone by scutinizing little parts of each sentence posted by the replies.

and for god's sake, IT'S RESPONSE, NOT RESPONCE!

Dear Mr. Parsons,

I am interested in having a serious discussion. If you are going to act like a child and are not interested in sharing ideas please let me know now so I can stop wasting your time.

Well I went to the philosophy page and it is almost as bad as the christian chat room. At least you people here understand physics even if you are wrong. The philosophy people are really off. I think physics people should stick to what they call physics, that is the explanation of physical phenomena. They really don't have the background to discuss anything else.

Originally posted by lan418
At page 2 of this thread I already saw it as superfluous arguments. Seems like lang just wants to argue with everyone by scutinizing little parts of each sentence posted by the replies.

and for god's sake, IT'S RESPONSE, NOT RESPONCE!

First off, who cares what you saw. Second, why don't you back up your views.

I'm not really sure what your point is other than proclaiming how smart you are and how limited everyone else is. You have not offered any real insight that could be described as philosophically or physically enlightening. Case in point:

losang: Fire is that which is hot and burning. Why do you need to explain it in terms of atoms and electrons. Do you think that cave men didn't know what fire was?

Very practical knowledge that any six year old knows. Thank god you were here to enlighten us with your profound wisdom. I might have burned myself.

Losang: I think physics people should stick to what they call physics, that is the explanation of physical phenomena. They really don't have the background to discuss anything else.

At first, you complained when a physical description was given. Now it seems that you approve of physicists giving explanation of phenomena in physical terms and give the advice that they should stick to that. So, which is it?

How exactly did you arrive at the generalization that physicists do not have the background to discuss anything other than physics? Is this based only on posts in this thread? This is just one example of your delusions of grandeur.

Now this thread has evolved into a ridiculous argument. Why don't we get back to the original question? Why don't you dazzle us with your knowledge, oh enlightened one, and tell all us exactly what fire is? You imply that you have a great understanding of physics which has yet to be demonstrated. I beg you, tell us what fire is.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Jimmy
I'm not really sure what your point is other than proclaiming how smart you are and how limited everyone else is. You have not offered any real insight that could be described as philosophically or physically enlightening. Case in point:
If you pour dust into the ear of a donkey he makes the sound 'kur kur kur'. If you pour gold dust into the ear of a donkey he makes the same sound.

At first, you complained when a physical description was given. Now it seems that you approve of physicists giving explanation of phenomena in physical terms and give the advice that they should stick to that. So, which is it?

How exactly did you arrive at the generalization that physicists do not have the background to discuss anything other than physics? Is this based only on posts in this thread? This is just one example of your delusions of grandeur.
Because although the view of physicsts is limited at least it is less limited in the realm of physics.

Now this thread has evolved into a ridiculous argument. Why don't we get back to the original question? Why don't you dazzle us with your knowledge, oh enlightened one, and tell all us exactly what fire is? You imply that you have a great understanding of physics which has yet to be demonstrated. I beg you, tell us what fire is.
If you still don't know what fire is put your hand over a gas stove.

Still, I see absolutely nothing worthy in what you say. You avoid a real answer by claiming we would not understand. I wonder who has been pouring dust into your ear? If you pour dust into a troll's ear, it will shake it out. If you put gold dust into a troll's ear, it will also shake that out.

I know what fire is. Do you know what *plonk* means?

*plonk*

Last edited:
The way I see it, physics is the prediction of physical phenomena through. The most useful tool we have is math.

Philosophy, on the other hand, is the description of phenomena both physical and metaphysical. We use logic for this.

You could argue, that mathematics is logical, and logic is mathematical. But it would be foolish to draw equivalence between prediction and description.

Dang! somehow I missed, I am sure I had General Philosophy selected when I clicked the move button. This thread has been separated from a topic gone wild in Physics. (That is not ever remotely related to Girls gone wild!)

Hehe :smile:. I'm finished. There is really no point in going on, not that there ever was anyway...

Exactly. :)

Sort of unrelated to the topic of fire. I considered your alegation that I am this tenzin person by looking at what he wrote. I must say I wish I was this person. What he wrote was really a stroke of insight. I think if this person was still here I would have someone with whom I could engage in very enjoyable conversations with.

I am sorry he is gone.

Sort of unrelated to the topic of fire. I considered your alegation that I am this tenzin person by looking at what he wrote. I must say I wish I was this person. What he wrote was really a stroke of insight. I think if this person was still here I would have someone with whom I could engage in very enjoyable conversations with.

I am sorry he is gone.

OMG. Now it is obvious. Heh, smart move.

If you pour dust into the ear of a donkey he makes the sound 'kur kur kur'. If you pour gold dust into the ear of a donkey he makes the same sound.
Fire is a virus and it has infected this thread.

Response overload! :p

But I know that these people won't get an answer in the near future.

1. What is the definition of a chemical reaction?

A chemical reaction is a process in which one or more substances, known as reactants, are transformed into one or more different substances, known as products, through the breaking and forming of chemical bonds.

2. How does fire fit into the definition of a chemical reaction?

Fire involves the rapid combination of oxygen with a fuel source, such as wood or gasoline, resulting in the release of heat, light, and other products. This process of combustion is a chemical reaction, as it involves the breaking and forming of chemical bonds to create new substances.

3. What evidence supports the idea that fire is a chemical reaction?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the idea that fire is a chemical reaction. These include the production of new substances, such as carbon dioxide and water, the release of energy in the form of heat and light, and the fact that the reaction can be reversed by removing one of the reactants (oxygen).

4. Are there any other factors that contribute to fire besides chemical reactions?

While chemical reactions are the main factor in the process of fire, there are other factors that can contribute to its occurrence, such as the availability of oxygen, the presence of a fuel source, and the presence of a heat source. These factors must all be present in order for a fire to start and continue burning.

5. How does understanding the chemical reaction of fire help us prevent and control fires?

Understanding the chemical reaction of fire is essential in preventing and controlling fires. By knowing the necessary components for a fire to occur, we can take measures to eliminate or control these factors. Additionally, understanding the chemical reactions involved in fire can help us develop more effective fire extinguishing methods and fire-resistant materials.