Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What exactly is greed?

1. Aug 5, 2008 #1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greed

Just read an article about yet another sports athlete and a potential $50mill/year contract. Almost immediately the "He's greedy" comments began coming up.

So, what exactly is greed? Does greed apply/not apply depending on profession? Some people say greed is getting stuff you don't need to live, so if I buy a 50'' HDTV or go to college am I being greedy?

Perhaps there is no greed, just reverse-envy. I just don't get why some people are disgusted by someone rightfully commanding a large salary. To me, it makes no difference whether "Person X" earns $1 or $1mill if said person is not depriving me of what I need.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2008 #2
    Re: Greed

read and learn that link by heart, you might have your own definition of greed

4. Aug 5, 2008 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have two TVs in my room. One 51 inch plasma for watching sports and movies and a 27 inch LCD to watch before bed because the 51 inch is too bright for night time TV.

5. Aug 5, 2008 #4

Does your 51" leave a negative shadow if you watch it too long?

6. Aug 5, 2008 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

People in the professional sports should demand more simply because of what they are worth ; their bosses are earning magnitudes more than them all because of the work their center attractions or their " irreplaceable piece of equipment " . Players aren't dumb as cows they know that they are all there is to this sports business ; 250 million dollars is short change compared to what the bosses behind the scenes are generating .

It's not greed rather a sense of equality .

7. Aug 5, 2008 #6

Yeah, people are stupid. First of all it makes no sense to say "hes greedy", in this situation, since he is simply accepting an offer. He is apparently good, so the team offered him the money. So, do these people actually think that someone would refuse money for no apparent reason? Do they expect him to say "No, $50M is too much, just pay me $20M"? And why would he do that, its not like its going to go to charity otherwise, its going to go to marketing and stuff.

Secondly, greed is just a word. A word that is used to describe certain behaviors. A word which is apparently misused by those people who seem to associate money to greed even though it does not necessarily follow. There is no generally accepted definition of the word just like with almost any word. There is no definition that says: if the person does this for $X then they are greedy otherwise they are not, and for it to be a good definition, it would be necessary to draw the line at some exact point in terms of exactly how many dollars and in what exact situations it was considered greed and in which ones it was not.

8. Aug 6, 2008 #7

I remember that baseball players with multi-million dollar incomes went on strike in 1994 because they weren't getting paid enough. Well, boo hoo hoo. Someone else can get out the violen, but I won't be playing it.

9. Aug 6, 2008 #8

Greed is a terrible thing. We started out with a single 25" cathode-ray TV in the den. This was used by my wife for watching the Mom Channel except when my kids wanted to watch "The Lion King" for the 500th time so we slipped the tape in. I felt this was unfair, so I insisted we get another TV for me to watch the Dad Channel. I would have been satisfied with 25", but my wife said that as ruler of the house, I should have a bigger screen, so we got a 31". This didn't work out as I had hoped because as my kids got older, they wanted to watch the Daughter Channel and the Son Channel. So I got two more TV's for the kids, a 35" for her and 51" for him. Then "Monk" became popular. Everyone was divided on whether to watch their favorite channel, or Monk. So we bought a 102" tv for the living room. This almost worked, but for the fact that when walking from the den to the living room, there was a blind spot where we couldn't see any TV at all. That's when I got a flat panel TV for every wall in the house. This seemed to satisfy all needs except for my daughter's boyfriend. When he came over, none of the TV's was set to the Boyfriend Channel, so I got a few more TVs for him. Some of these are on the ceiling or on cabinet shelves. I got some TVs for the basement, attic, closets, garage and just to be safe, one more for the den. I got a few more still in boxes in case company comes over. Do you think I'm too greedy?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  10. Aug 6, 2008 #9

I think you are a liar (it is hard believe everything that's in bold) which is another terrible thing. And how's the boyfriend channel is different from the son channel? :rolleyes:

11. Aug 6, 2008 #10

Oh yeah? Well what about the Lion King 500 times thing?

12. Aug 6, 2008 #11

Dont' be jealous of someone who makes $50 million, be jealous of the one who pays it out. Better yet, be jealous of Bill Gates and be done with it.

13. Aug 6, 2008 #12

If a kid start watching Lion King at age of 0-0.5 and keep on watching it to 4-5...500 seems pretty reasonable estimate.

I was hoping to see something real and reasonable :shy: there when I started reading.. and so it looked pretty crazy when I reached the bold part!

14. Aug 6, 2008 #13

This is greed ...
    [​IMG]

15. Aug 6, 2008 #14

That's not greed. I'm sure he's letting them eat cake.

16. Aug 6, 2008 #15

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What about the Girlfriend Channel you *******!?

17. Aug 6, 2008 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's what makes jimmysnyder's posts so hillarious....he can smoothly transition from real and reasonable to whacky and you don't realize you're in whacky until the end :biggrin: .

18. Aug 6, 2008 #17

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Those kinds of posts happen all the time in other forums. Lots of the them make me laugh!

19. Aug 6, 2008 #18

Flattery will get you everywhere. Here is one who really knows what he is doing:
    He was robbed again too.

20. Aug 6, 2008 #19

neu

There's only so much wealth in the world. If person X earns $1,000,000 a year then what they earn over the average income has to be compensated by other poeple's income.

No-one needs $1,000,000 per year, it is surplus to requirement. The lifestyle it breeds is surplus to requirement. It is greed. If you think it isn't greedy to earn $1,000,000 a year then you need to reassess what you think a person's needs actually are.

I read an article by Poly Toynbee on the delusions of the high earners w.r.t the average income and lifestyle. It's incredible the ignorance that such sucessful people can posses to try and justify their exuberant lifestyle.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/aug/04/workandcareers.executivesalaries

In britain we have a situation where the top 10% of earners are taxed less than the bottom 10%. You can argue that is situation has arisen to try and lure big buisness to this country to benefit the economy. But then you have to ask, why do fat cats demand to pay less tax than the cleaners they employ?

To think I felt flashy buying a smoothie that wasn't in the reduced section of the supermarket the other day.

21. Aug 6, 2008 #20

mheslep

Gold Member

Jimmy Snyder's TV budget is closing in on $1M. Absent these devices he risks marital and family disaster. Frankly, I think we need some ear marks in the federal budget to support him for the good of us all, as he's now too big to fail.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?