1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What exactly is interaction?

1. Sep 9, 2009 #1
    Hi

I was reading about interactions.
    It is about the third law, action and reaction.
    but, If molecules just act on each other in just automatic ways, then how can things emerge?

How does emergence happens?
    It must be special ways of interaction, not simple interactions but complex ones.

When people say "complex interactions" what do the mean?

What is complex?
    the direction? power? time?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2
    Since many people have looked at this with no replies, I will give it a crack. Basically, your post is slightly ambigous. Are you asking about how complex systems can arise out of simple interactions?

If this is the case, then you need to read about complex systems. Below is the first few lines from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_system" [Broken]:

A complex system is a system composed of interconnected parts that as a whole exhibit one or more properties (behavior among the possible properties) not obvious from the properties of the individual parts[citation needed]. This characteristic of every system is called emergence and is true of any system, not just complex ones.

A system’s complexity may be of one of two forms: disorganized complexity and organized complexity.[1] In essence, disorganized complexity is a matter of a very large number of parts, and organized complexity is a matter of the subject system (quite possibly with only a limited number of parts) exhibiting emergent properties.

But I think what you question is tending toward is the self-organization of a system:

"Self-organization is a process of attraction and repulsion in which the internal organization of a system, normally an open system, increases in complexity without being guided or managed by an outside source. Self-organizing systems typically (but not always) display emergent properties."
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-organization" [Broken]

It is these emergent properties that display "complex interactions".

I hope that is what you are asking and that this post helps

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Sep 10, 2009 #3
    Hi

Thanks alot for the reply.

What I meant is not the words emergent or complex or system, not talking about the
    general idea but to ask specificly , what is interaction?

interaction is inter + action.

why or how the interaction makes life?
    what is it in the interaction that creates?

Is it the timing, sync ?

Everywhere I go I see the words emergent or complex but people never talk about the details, only the philisopy .

5. Sep 11, 2009 #4
    From two separate thing can emerge somthing
    From two identical things there is no emergence , why?

It is not the sum of the actions but the INTER + ACTION that creates
    the emergence.

again, what is really going on "inside" the interaction?

You take some electronic components , you connect them together and you have a radio or television, why?

What is happening? what is emergence?
    There is a MAGIC going on, what is it?

sync?
    organization?
    timing?
    order?

Thanks

6. Sep 11, 2009 #5
    (Had to type something here because it wasn't letting me post.)

7. Sep 11, 2009 #6
    Hi

Thanks for the answer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence_has_a_few_specific_examples [Broken]

There is nothing here.

8. Sep 11, 2009 #7

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Lol he meant the website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence has a few specific examples, not that was the website..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook