What exactly makes opposites attract and likes repel?

• Thread starter urtalkinstupid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Repel
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of opposites attracting and likes repelling in terms of electrostatic and magnetostatic forces. Coulomb's law and experiments are mentioned as the basis for understanding these forces. The conversation also touches on the push theory of gravity and the importance of asking the right questions in science. The conversation ends with a request to stay on topic and not cross-post in different threads.
urtalkinstupid
Hey, guys! I'm back! :frown:

What exactly makes opposites attract and likes repel? Sure, you put a proton near an electron. They both move towards each other. So, what's happening?

Is this just the action of emission and absorption? All particles emitt and absorb according to their density. When a proton comes in contact with another proton, they both have the same emittance rate, thus push away from each other. Emission overcomes absorption in that situation. Could that be what is happening?

Take a black hole and it's singularity (or it's string) and put it against light. The black hole is very dense, ergo absorption takes over emission. The light goes to the center mass and is absorbed and not able to be emitted, explaining why no light is emitted around a suspected "black hole."

This has NOTHING to do with my "push" theory of gravity, before you scrutanize me on this idea. It's just something i observed with light while looking at another thread. Light being reflected off a mirror goes through emission and absorption. LAAA! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Physics 101.

I'm only in high school. So, I was just wondering. You don't have to get rude about it.

Apologies, I did not mean to be rude. Asking questions is the essence of science. I get annoyed when people ask the wrong questions for the wrong reasons. Our science, and math, is built upon very sound foundations. There are no reasonable objections. But, there are many questions left to be answered. Perhaps you will find some of them. My point is don't cast off what is already known. Science is hard. You ask the right questions. Don't let the quacks push you off course [eg, Arp nonsense]. I may not be much help, but, I am your friend and will try.

urtalkinstupid said:
This has NOTHING to do with my "push" theory of gravity, before you scrutanize me on this idea. It's just something i observed with light while looking at another thread. Light being reflected off a mirror goes through emission and absorption. LAAA! :biggrin:
Chronos was blunt, but he's right - this has nothing to do with accepted physics and you would be well advised to learn some before trying to invent your own. It might save you a lot of wasted effort.

urtalkinstupid said:

This stated question is reasonable only for electrostatic phenomena. For magnetostatic phenomena, like (flowing in the same direction) currents attract and opposite currents repel.

The simplest answer for electrostatic attraction of opposites and repulsion of like electric charges is the existence of an electric force as is described by Coulomb's law of electrostatic electricity. This force is directly proportional to the concept of an electric field. The constant of proportionality is the magnitude of the charge. The unit of this charge is the charge of the electron.

Last edited:
I want more than simply an overview. I want to know what is really happening. I already know what Coulomb's law is and how that applys to charges and whether they attract or repel depending on their charge and distance.

urtalkinstupid said:
I want to know what is really happening.

It is the existence of the force that makes everything happens. This Coulomb's force is derived from experiments. There is no electrostatic force between particles of neutral charge but they have gravitational atttraction (and again this force of gravity between two objects is also derived from experiment in determining the magnitude of the universal gravitational constant).

The proportionality constant of Coulomb's law was also derived from experiment. So to quickly perform an experiment we simply remove some electrons from one object to make its charge different from the other object and by convention the electron is supposed to have a negative charge and the object with some electrons being removed becomes positive charge and by experiment they attract. If we try to close-in two objects of which some electrons have been removed they will repel again this is seen by experiments.

But what really can be determined by electrostatic priniciple is only the ratio between charge and mass. The charge must be independently determined by another experiment (Millikan's oil drop experiment) that can nullify the gravitational force.

Last edited:
Back In Business!

speaking of gravity, anyone want to hear about the push theory??

oh jesuss...

hey armo! u rock!

beatrix kiddo said:
speaking of gravity, anyone want to hear about the push theory??

You guys are like AOL for physics. Stop spreading your arguments around and stay in your original posts. Cross-posting among threads is really annoying (see: AOL)

This is a commonly asked question in regards to the concept of attraction and repulsion between objects or individuals. Many people are curious about the underlying reasons for this phenomenon.

Is it true that opposites attract and likes repel?

The concept of "opposites attract and likes repel" is a simplified way of explaining the behavior of certain forces, such as electric charges or magnets. In reality, this is not always the case and there are many factors that can influence attraction and repulsion.

What factors contribute to attraction and repulsion?

The main factors that contribute to attraction and repulsion are electric charges, magnetic fields, and chemical bonds. These forces can either attract or repel objects or individuals, depending on their properties.

Can attraction and repulsion be explained by physics?

Yes, attraction and repulsion can be explained by the laws of physics. These forces are governed by fundamental laws, such as Coulomb's law for electric charges and the laws of magnetism.

Can attraction and repulsion be observed in everyday life?

Absolutely! We can observe attraction and repulsion in many everyday situations, such as when a magnet sticks to a refrigerator or when two people with opposite personalities are drawn to each other. These examples demonstrate the presence of different types of forces at work.