1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What field am I describing?

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    I want to computationally design and predict properties of matter (fluids and solids) via microscopic information and atomic theory. Molecular modeling applied to a variety of materials for prediction of electrical, magnetic, optical, and mechanical properties as well as bio compatibility.

I also want to design theories to more efficiently carry out this task and show the relationship between macroscopic behavior and microscopic composition.

Does this fall under Materials Science, Physics (condensed matter?), Chemistry, Chemical engineering, or something else? What is the best major to study to carry out this research in graduate school?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2013 #2
    Condensed matter physcs/material science.

I reccomend studying physics, and taking some material science classes along the way. Then you're far less limited, as opposed to only studying material science where you'll be missing a lot of physics (and probably focus a lot on experimental and laboratoy techniques).

Might also want to consider a dual in computer science.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook