1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What field is this called?

  1. Aug 28, 2009 #1
    I'm reading through a probability textbook right now (Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning by Bishop) and it makes heavy use of "vector calculus".

    "Vector Calculus" is in quotations, because it's unlike the vector calculus that I learned in my courses (gradients, curls, divergence, etc...).

    There's lots of formulas where he literally takes the derivative of a function with respect to a vector. Or he integrates a formula with respect to a vector.

    What field of mathematics is this? And are there any good books where can I learn more about it?

  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2009 #2
  4. Aug 28, 2009 #3
    Thank you for your help, I'm on my way to the library right now to get a copy of it.

    As an aside then, are the Curl, Gradient, and Divergence properties also part of vector calculus? I scoured the internet for hours looking for the definition of an integral with respect to a vector, but the only results I came up with concerning "vector calculus" was regarding those three operators and their properties.
  5. Aug 28, 2009 #4
    yup, they are.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook