What fileds involves QM in grad school?

In summary: I think that if you want to be a theoretical physicist then you should research QM-related topics, but it's not necessary to be in elementary particle physics specifically. Most theoretical physicists work on something that falls under one of the following categories: relativity, particle physics, mathematical physics, and cosmology.
Physicist
Hi all

In physics grad schools, what fields involves quantum mechanics in it?

Elementary particle physics does, right? What else?

Usually what do theoretical physics research groups work on?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Physicist said:
Hi all

In physics grad schools, what fields involves quantum mechanics in it?

Elementary particle physics does, right? What else?

Usually what do theoretical physics research groups work on?

Thanks

You'd do better by asking what fields of physics DO NOT involve QM (directly). You'd have a shorter list than the other way.

Note that the most convincing evidence of the validity of QM does not come from esoteric field of study such as "elementary particle physics", but rather something closer to what you use everyday - condensed matter physics. This is the field of study that is responsible for practically all the materials you are using in your modern electronics.

Someone a while back asked for a list of all the field of studies in physics, and I gave a link of the various division under the American Physical Society as a good representation of them. You may want to look at that and discover for yourself where QM comes in in almost all of that field of studies (besides expanding your horizon on the various areas of physics that you may have not known about).

Zz.

Fields not involving QM:

Chaos, hydrodynamics, some statistical physics - stuff in Physical Review E generally. Relativity too, in case I forget.

Thanks.

Here is the link ZapperZ talked about:

http://www.aps.org/units/index.cfm

OK.. I'm interested in QM + relativity. I like maths also.

What is the best choice for me in grad school?

I want something that QM is a main part of it.

Some universities have a separate theoretical physics group, but some do not. Because of that I felt that it's better to have a clear idea.

1. What is QM in grad school?

QM stands for quantum mechanics, which is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

2. Is QM a required field in grad school?

It depends on the specific program and institution. Some graduate programs may require students to have a background in QM, while others may offer it as an elective course.

3. What other fields are related to QM in grad school?

QM is closely related to other fields such as quantum chemistry, quantum computing, and quantum engineering. It also has applications in fields like materials science, biophysics, and nanotechnology.

4. What skills are needed for studying QM in grad school?

A strong background in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra, is essential for understanding the mathematical concepts and equations used in QM. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills are also important for studying and conducting research in QM.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a QM degree?

Graduates with a QM degree may pursue careers in research and development, academia, and industries such as technology, healthcare, and renewable energy. They may also work in government agencies or national laboratories.