Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What flirty means?

1. I'm 1! o:)

35.4%
  2. Huh what are you talking about?:confused: I've never met 1.

10.4%
  3. Wow! I enjoy being with that kind of people.

37.5%
  4. They're annoying! They take lots of your valuble time.:grumpy:

14.6%
  5. 1st tell me what is flirty?:smile:

22.9%
  6. Sorry I don't have time for flirting right now, so I'm outta your thread! :wink:

6.3%
  7. None of your business! why the hell do you want to get my idea anyway?

4.2%
  8. :zzz:

22.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jul 29, 2006 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

1st of all I hope someone kindely explain to me what flity means? Then I want to know how you feel about these people?(Don't worry! I'm not starting thread on what I even don't know what it means! I just want to know the exact meaning):smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2006 #2
    From dictionary, to flirt is to make playfully romantic or sexual overtures.
    So flirty are people doing that it seems. When I went to elementary school we often flirted with girls. That was fun, however not 100% real due to immaturity. For me, flirting is weird, because you may make girls loving you without actually giving the love back, ending it with curses, anger, etc unless you flirt when you actually fall in love with a person. Don't believe any of my words. I may be wrong.

4. Jul 29, 2006 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It has its downside. I have female friend who flirts with guys. She bounces her OO's off their head, etc. Tee hee isn't that cute. I know more about her sex life than all the rest of my friends put together because she brags about it.

Then, on New Year's Eve, one friend, really drunk, grabs her OO's, you know, for a picture. Ha ha.

She is furious and hasn't forgiven him to this day.

I'm thinkin' "What? Did he cross some sort of boundary? You have boundaries??? Go figger."

5. Jul 29, 2006 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Many people flirt as a way of covering their butts. If it's taken seriously, they pretend they meant it, and continue from there. If it's rebuffed, they scoff that you took them seriously.

6. Jul 29, 2006 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

So please share more...:biggrin:
    :rofl:

7. Jul 29, 2006 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's only funny until someone loses an eye.:tongue2:

8. Jul 29, 2006 #7
    I hate such people.

9. Jul 29, 2006 #8
    I have a friend who flirts with everyone. She doesn't think she is flirting though. She is very friendly(not in a sexual way) with everyone. It is just her personality but she has every man she meets asking for her phone number. This always astonishes her and she still doesn't know what she did.

10. Jul 29, 2006 #9

turbo

Gold Member

This is a tough one. I am 54 and I don't consider myself handsome although I do try to stay in shape. A couple of years ago, at a BBQ, a cute female friend (about 30) stuck to me like velcro, and when I tried to give her a quick peck on the cheek (since I like her and hadn't seen her for months) she muckled onto me and planted a firm kiss on my lips. This did not please my wife for some reason (duh!). Not long ago, a young female relative (in her 20's) did the same thing to me in a public setting. Is this becoming common with the 30-and-under crowd? I didn't indulge either of them with undue attention before the kisses; I just expressed my pleasure at seeing them after lengthy absences. These are both very attractive young women with companions that I think are good-looking and decent guys their own ages, so it's not like I'm trying to flirt with these ladies - I just like them for who they are.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  11. Jul 29, 2006 #10
    justbeing anoying, but the pol dosent add up

12. Jul 29, 2006 #11

wolram

Gold Member

So true, i have had several black eyes and sore places for listening to flirty ladies, why is it that thier husbands boy friends are bigger than me.

13. Jul 29, 2006 #12

Danger

Gold Member

That's far more likely up here, with our much colder climate. Why do you think that I wear glasses?
    (Ever seen an ice T-shirt contest? :biggrin: )

14. Jul 29, 2006 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, it does.

The percentages represent (number of people that picked this option)/(total number of respondents).

15. Jul 29, 2006 #14
    OK thats sorted that one out then
    thanks for the explenation,

16. Jul 29, 2006 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

In the workplace it can be really bad. One of the people that supports me technically tries to flirt with me because of my voice (he is in another state). I found out he asked the guys in my office what I looked like and then had been pressuring me to meet him when he came here for a meeting last week. I just felt it would be too weird. I NEED him professionally. I have clients that fall for me and that's REALLY awkward.

17. Jul 29, 2006 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dang! I always forget I can choose more than one option on the polls with square check boxes. :grumpy: I like being a bit flirty among friends, but I also know to reign it in when professionalism is called for.

18. Jul 30, 2006 #17

Pythagorean

Gold Member

flirting doesn't necissarily have to be sexual (well, okay, maybe it is subconsciously, I don't know). I have a girlfriend, but I still flirt with other girls casually, but it's not like I'm trying to get in their pants, it's just a playful way to lighten a mood, I guess.

19. Jul 30, 2006 #18
    If both parties know the boundaries, it's generally all in good fun. It's only when someone takes it the wrong way that things get sticky. Or just complicated, which is usually less entertaining. o:)

20. Jul 30, 2006 #19

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

From Merriam-Webster on-line.
    Well, there seems to be two contexts, one in which someone makes romantic overtures (without regard to motivation), and the other in which flirting involves romantic or amorous overtures without serious intent, the latter being disingenous or dishonest.

It is for the reason of ambiguity that I do not care for flirting and never have.

In my own experience, I have never flirted except for one woman whom I seriously wished to meet (here flirting is in accordance with the first definition). Eventually we did meet and started dating until I found out she was married, and the dating stopped.

21. Jul 31, 2006 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

One edit:

*this includes any possibly jealous 'significant others' looking on

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?