What is the Genuine Meaning of Flirting?

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Means
In summary: The percentages represent (number of people that picked this option)/(total number of respondents).OK that's sorted that one out then.

How do you feel about flirty people?

• Total voters
Lisa!
Gold Member
1st of all I hope someone kindely explain to me what flity means? Then I want to know how you feel about these people?(Don't worry! I'm not starting thread on what I even don't know what it means! I just want to know the exact meaning):smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
From dictionary, to flirt is to make playfully romantic or sexual overtures.
So flirty are people doing that it seems. When I went to elementary school we often flirted with girls. That was fun, however not 100% real due to immaturity. For me, flirting is weird, because you may make girls loving you without actually giving the love back, ending it with curses, anger, etc unless you flirt when you actually fall in love with a person. Don't believe any of my words. I may be wrong.

It has its downside. I have female friend who flirts with guys. She bounces her OO's off their head, etc. Tee hee isn't that cute. I know more about her sex life than all the rest of my friends put together because she brags about it.

Then, on New Year's Eve, one friend, really drunk, grabs her OO's, you know, for a picture. Ha ha.

She is furious and hasn't forgiven him to this day.

I'm thinkin' "What? Did he cross some sort of boundary? You have boundaries? Go figger."

Many people flirt as a way of covering their butts. If it's taken seriously, they pretend they meant it, and continue from there. If it's rebuffed, they scoff that you took them seriously.

DaveC426913 said:
I know more about her sex life than all the rest of my friends put together because she brags about it.
So please share more...:biggrin:
Then, on New Year's Eve, one friend, really drunk, grabs her OO's, you know, for a picture. Ha ha.

She is furious and hasn't forgiven him to this day.

I'm thinkin' "What? Did he cross some sort of boundary? You have boundaries? Go figger."
:rofl:

DaveC426913 said:
It has its downside. I have female friend who flirts with guys. She bounces her OO's off their head, etc. Tee hee isn't that cute.
That's only funny until someone loses an eye.:tongue2:

I hate such people.

I have a friend who flirts with everyone. She doesn't think she is flirting though. She is very friendly(not in a sexual way) with everyone. It is just her personality but she has every man she meets asking for her phone number. This always astonishes her and she still doesn't know what she did.

This is a tough one. I am 54 and I don't consider myself handsome although I do try to stay in shape. A couple of years ago, at a BBQ, a cute female friend (about 30) stuck to me like velcro, and when I tried to give her a quick peck on the cheek (since I like her and hadn't seen her for months) she muckled onto me and planted a firm kiss on my lips. This did not please my wife for some reason (duh!). Not long ago, a young female relative (in her 20's) did the same thing to me in a public setting. Is this becoming common with the 30-and-under crowd? I didn't indulge either of them with undue attention before the kisses; I just expressed my pleasure at seeing them after lengthy absences. These are both very attractive young women with companions that I think are good-looking and decent guys their own ages, so it's not like I'm trying to flirt with these ladies - I just like them for who they are.

Last edited:
justbeing anoying, but the pol dosent add up

Math Is Hard said:

So true, i have had several black eyes and sore places for listening to flirty ladies, why is it that their husbands boy friends are bigger than me.

Math Is Hard said:
That's far more likely up here, with our much colder climate. Why do you think that I wear glasses?
(Ever seen an ice T-shirt contest? :biggrin: )

star.torturer said:
justbeing anoying, but the pol dosent add up
Nope, it does.

The percentages represent (number of people that picked this option)/(total number of respondents).

OK that's sorted that one out then
thanks for the explenation,

In the workplace it can be really bad. One of the people that supports me technically tries to flirt with me because of my voice (he is in another state). I found out he asked the guys in my office what I looked like and then had been pressuring me to meet him when he came here for a meeting last week. I just felt it would be too weird. I NEED him professionally. I have clients that fall for me and that's REALLY awkward.

Dang! I always forget I can choose more than one option on the polls with square check boxes. :grumpy: I like being a bit flirty among friends, but I also know to reign it in when professionalism is called for.

flirting doesn't necissarily have to be sexual (well, okay, maybe it is subconsciously, I don't know). I have a girlfriend, but I still flirt with other girls casually, but it's not like I'm trying to get in their pants, it's just a playful way to lighten a mood, I guess.

If both parties know the boundaries, it's generally all in good fun. It's only when someone takes it the wrong way that things get sticky. Or just complicated, which is usually less entertaining. o:)

heartless said:
From dictionary, to flirt is to make playfully romantic or sexual overtures.

So flirty are people doing that it seems. When I went to elementary school we often flirted with girls. That was fun, however not 100% real due to immaturity. For me, flirting is weird, because you may make girls loving you without actually giving the love back, ending it with curses, anger, etc unless you flirt when you actually fall in love with a person. Don't believe any of my words. I may be wrong.

From Merriam-Webster on-line.
2 a : to behave amorously without serious intent b : to show superficial or casual interest or liking

Well, there seems to be two contexts, one in which someone makes romantic overtures (without regard to motivation), and the other in which flirting involves romantic or amorous overtures without serious intent, the latter being disingenous or dishonest.

It is for the reason of ambiguity that I do not care for flirting and never have.

In my own experience, I have never flirted except for one woman whom I seriously wished to meet (here flirting is in accordance with the first definition). Eventually we did meet and started dating until I found out she was married, and the dating stopped.

One edit:

Hawknc said:
If all relevant* parties know the boundaries, it's generally all in good fun. It's only when someone takes it the wrong way that things get sticky. Or just complicated, which is usually less entertaining. o:)

*this includes any possibly jealous 'significant others' looking on

Evo said:
In the workplace it can be really bad.
True!:approve: :frown: That really sucks. I guess flirting at work could be an ok sometimes, I mean when you are just very tired and need a break but unfortunately most of people do that at any possible chance. Ah my coworkers waste my time alot. I just go to them for ask a quick question or little request that shouldn't take more than a few minutes but that usually ends up with a long silly and useless converstaion and if I don't find an excuse for leaving them it certainly goes on and on...:cry: The problem is that I just don't find any of then the kind of person that I wish to talk to.(not so clever guys:grumpy: )
It seems that they don't get it I'm cold and unfriendly with them to avoid that situations...:eek: (I guess my other female coworkers have made them cheeky)

Lisa! said:
True!:approve: :frown: That really sucks. I guess flirting at work could be ok sometimes, I mean when you are just very tired and need a break but unfortunately most of people do that at any possible chance. Ah my coworkers waste my time alot. I just go to them for ask a quick question about how great cyrus is, or little request that shouldn't take more than a few minutes but that usually ends up with a long meaningful and insightful converstaion and if I don't find an excuse for leaving them it certainly goes on and on about how great cyrus is...:!) The problem is that I just don't find any of then the kind of person that I wish to talk to.(not so clever guys:grumpy: )
It seems that they don't get it I'm cold and unfriendly with them to avoid that situations because I am already in love with cyrus...:!) (I guess my other female coworkers have made them cheeky)

I feel bad for you Lisa! What a hard situation you must find yourself in right now.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I feel bad for you Lisa! What a hard situation you must find yourself in right now.
:rofl: :rofl:

You're right that I'm in love iwth that naughty boy named Mr Perfect but the problem is that he's a kiddie...:!)

If you know someone is flirting with you, he or she is likely an awful flirt.

I voted :zzz: for boredom.

I say we should call known flirty people carriers of SOBS or "sudden onset boredom syndrome."

Last edited:
Pythagorean said:
flirting doesn't necissarily have to be sexual (well, okay, maybe it is subconsciously, I don't know). I have a girlfriend, but I still flirt with other girls casually, but it's not like I'm trying to get in their pants, it's just a playful way to lighten a mood, I guess.

Agree with this, it can also be just a way to be diplomatic if it's done within the right circumstances. Today a fellow worker flirted with a nurse to ease a situation that was a little tense, ie he accidently pushed her into a cupboard as he was moving a bed through, although he apologised, it went like this.

Porter: sorry just need to push the door to to get through

Nurse: are you trying to push me into the cupboard, half joking.

Porter: I'd only do that if I was in there with you :smile:

Nurse: slightly embarassed, well OK :smile:

Edited: so that it makes sense and does not appear like a scene out of carry on Nurse , Ooooh Saucy! :smile:

Amusing and a light moment in an otherwise dull day.

Depends on the circumstances, sometimes it's cringemakingly annoying to see, and when I do it, it always seems to end up in embarrasing side glances and a bit of a silence,so I try not to, if it actually worked once in a blue moon, or if a woman flirted outrageously with me(when I actually recognised that was what it was: flirtational dunce basically when it's aimed at me) Then it'd be fine :smile:

Last edited:
If you're just trying to lighten the mood, then you're just joking around, IMO. Comedians don't flirt with their audiences, right?

Personally I think flirting is bull****. But don't listen to me because I'm somewhat extremist on the matter. I personally think small-talk and flirting and other stuff like that is bull**** and fake. But then again I really don't like any emotion at all. And don't get me talking about emos because I'll be banned from the forums :-/.Edit:

If I ever get put into a situation which involves stupid and pointless small talk - or if the conversation is boring/useless/pointless etc then usually I'll just walk away without saying anything (or point out how crap the coversation is, this works quiet well actually. ), I don't make up excuses to leave, because that again is fake and BS.

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Agree with this, it can also be just a way to be diplomatic if it's done within the right circumstances. Today a fellow worker flirted with a nurse to ease a situation that was a little tense, ie he accidently pushed her into a cupboard as he was moving a bed through, although he apologised, it went like this.

Porter: sorry just need to push the door to to get through

Nurse: are you trying to push me into the cupboard, half joking.

Porter: I'd only do that if I was in there with you :smile:

Nurse: slightly embarassed, well OK :smile:

Edited: so that it makes sense and does not appear like a scene out of carry on Nurse , Ooooh Saucy! :smile:
This kind of flirting is two-way and consentual. It is not unwanted by either party, unlike Lisa!'s and Evo's cases.

I used to flirt. I wasn't any good at it, so I gave it up.

You'd think you'd get more of a response from an invitation like, "How about we make the gravitational force between us match the gravitational force of Jupiter on you?" :frown:

Good example, Schrodinger.

BobG said:
Why? because you got married?
You'd think you'd get more of a response from an invitation like, "How about we make the gravitational force between us match the gravitational force of Jupiter on you?" :frown:

BobG said:

That would have worked on me! :!)

More nerdy pickup lines:
http://bertc.com/mensa.htm

By visually measuring the wrinkles in the front of your pants, calculating your body mass based on your height and weight, and dividing that number by your waist size -- I conclude that you have absolutely nothing in your pocket and are, in fact, glad to see me.

Math Is Hard said:
That would have worked on me! :!)
That's because you're more special than relativity! :!)

BobG said:
That's because you're more special than relativity! :!)
:redface: :smile: *melts*

Mickey said:
If you're just trying to lighten the mood, then you're just joking around, IMO. Comedians don't flirt with their audiences, right?

Maybe I softened up the meaning too much with 'just trying ot lighten up the mood'. There has to be some genuine attraction between the two participants.

I hear what astronauc is saying though. I remember plenty of girls in high school that only flirted as a means to get what they wanted.

1. What is the definition of flirting?

The definition of flirting is the act of showing romantic or sexual interest in someone through playful or suggestive behavior, often without serious intentions.

2. How do you know if someone is flirting with you?

Some common signs of flirting include prolonged eye contact, smiling, teasing or light physical touch, and playful or suggestive conversation. However, it's important to remember that everyone flirts differently, so it's best to pay attention to the individual's body language and tone of voice to determine if they are flirting with you.

3. Is flirting always a form of attraction?

No, flirting can also be a way to communicate and build rapport with someone, without any romantic or sexual intentions. It can also be used as a form of entertainment or to boost one's self-esteem.

4. Can flirting be harmful or offensive?

Yes, flirting can be harmful or offensive if it is unwanted or crosses boundaries. It's important to always respect someone's boundaries and to stop flirting if the other person is not reciprocating or expressing discomfort.

5. How can flirting be beneficial?

Flirting can be beneficial in building and maintaining relationships, as it can show interest and attraction towards someone. It can also be a way to boost confidence and self-esteem, and can add excitement and playfulness to interactions.