Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What force caused the Big Bang? The force that acted upon the singularity to expand.

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    What I was thinking is that we know if the Big Bang occurred that it explains why we think the universe is expanding. I thought about what force triggered the singularity to expand into space itself. Using Newtons First Law of Motion, that a body remains at rest or travels in a straight line unless acted on by another force. Can somebody explain what force acted upon our universe, 13.7 billion years ago?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2

bapowell

Science Advisor

Re: What force caused the Big Bang? The force that acted upon the singularity to expa

Modern cosmology does not address the initial singularity or the dynamics of the big bang itself. General relativity is believed to break down at the initial singularity, and so cosmologists need a more complete theory of quantum gravity to address this critical time. Despite recent progress, we still don't have one.

4. May 24, 2010 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: What force caused the Big Bang? The force that acted upon the singularity to expa

The big bang was not an explosion, and the singularity is not a point in spacetime. The big bang is a mathematical property of a class of solutions of Einstein's equation, which describes the relationship between how things are distributed in the universe and how those things move. The original big bang theory is the claim that the universe is described by one of those solutions. Since then, other big bang theories have been developed. Some of them have even disposed of the initial singularity and describe the big bang as a phase transition that occurred after an initial period of rapid inflation.

Your question doesn't really make sense in the context of the original BBT, but it does seem to make sense in the context of inflation theories. I don't know them well enough to give you a really good answer. They all involve matter of a type that's never been observed, and phrases like "decay of false vacuum", which are very hard to understand (even for us physics nerds).

I will also quote myself:
    (The article I mentioned is the same one that diogenesNY is talking about. If you follow his instructions, you can read it for free).

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. May 24, 2010 #4

No physicist holds that the singularity actually exists it's just an ideal mathematical limit to a series in a sense of calculus.

6. May 24, 2010 #5

Thus, the big bang can be seen as the beginning of bubble nucleation, and the spontaneous nucleation of universes.

7. May 24, 2010 #6

Completely curious. Would this suggest that essentially our universe is spawned from other universes? Or say, our universe was born from the energy&mass of another...and it then adjoined the others?

8. May 25, 2010 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is unknown and probably unknowable. It is conceivable the big bang created time, hence, the age of our universe is indeterminate.

9. May 25, 2010 #8

What exactly is a topological transition and does anyone think it could have started the Big Bang?

10. May 25, 2010 #9

I was just wondering what acted upon the beginning of our universe to cause it to expand?

11. May 25, 2010 #10

bapowell

Science Advisor

Nobody knows. All we know is that it is expanding. General relativity, when applied to the smooth radiation-dominated early universe, tells us that the universe is either expanding or contracting. We happen to exist in an expanding universe, and so theoretically, the expansion is imposed as a boundary condition.

Probably not nearly as a cool of a response as you were hoping for...

12. Mar 29, 2011 #11

I'm into philosophy and admittedly not had enough physics to support this thought but, lets start at the present, what if the mass in our universe is currently expanding from initial force and/or energy that caused our current existence and over time the mass continues to "clump" together, still under the influence of that initial force(energy), so that it continues to expand. At a future point in time the "clumps" will clump together to form even greater amounts of mass, which will eventually disrupt the affect of initial force/energy and through gravitational pull all the clumps will form together drawing in all that is in space including time (including matter and antimatter) into one "clump" that will, under tremendous pressure and other molecular forces (including unknowns) change the state of matter and energy until, unknown forces begin to expand the "clump" of time, matter and antimatter again at an extremely rapid rate, cycling again and again. Could it be that when "everything" and "nothing" form that "clump" into one in space, that the "clump" may act as an atom "forming" infinite amounts of orbitals which can trigger the initial force? This is a sort of mash up of two ideas, both I developed but the second about orbitals i stuck in there after taking chemistry. Could this idea have any credibility?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook