Calculating Horizontal Force for a Shopping Cart on an Inclined Plane

• Thread starter wr1015
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, to find the horizontal force needed to give the cart an acceleration of 1.63 m/s2 on a 13° incline, you can use the formula \vec F = m \vec a or the formula \sum\\F_{x}=F_{1},_{x}+F_{2},_{x}=F_{1}+F_{2}\cos\theta, taking into account the force of gravity and the applied horizontal force.
wr1015
What formula do I use?

A shopper pushes a 7.3 kg shopping cart up a 13° incline, as shown in Figure 5-21. Find the horizontal force, F, needed to give the cart an acceleration of 1.63 m/s2.

Attachments

• 05-21.gif
    05-21.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 460
Physics news on Phys.org
What formula do I use?

Use [tex]\vec F = m \vec a[/tex]

Tide said:
Use [tex]\vec F = m \vec a[/tex]

i did that and got 18.99 N but its being counted as wrong. There are some formulas in my book that show horizontal force as [tex]\sum\\F_{x}=F_{1},_{x}+F_{2},_{x}=F_{1}+F_{2}\cos\theta[/tex] but am not given any forces?? :confused:

Last edited:
You know what the force of gravity is! It's direction is vertical but has a component parallel to the incline. The shopper applies a horizontal force which also has a component parallel to the incline. The sum of the forces parallel to the incline equals mass times acceleration along the incline.

You should be able to take it from there.

What formula do I use?

1. How do I calculate the area/volume of a shape?
To calculate the area of a shape, use the formula for that specific shape. For example, to find the area of a rectangle, use the formula A = length x width. To find the volume of a shape, use the formula for that specific shape. For example, to find the volume of a cube, use the formula V = length x width x height.

2. How do I convert units?
To convert units, use the appropriate conversion factor. For example, to convert from meters to feet, multiply by 3.28. Make sure to cancel out units to ensure the correct conversion.

3. How do I calculate percentages?
To calculate percentages, divide the part by the whole and multiply by 100. For example, if you want to find what percentage 25 is of 100, divide 25 by 100 and multiply by 100 to get 25%.

4. How do I find the slope of a line?
To find the slope of a line, use the formula (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1). This will give you the change in y over the change in x, or the rise over run.

5. How do I calculate density?
To calculate density, use the formula D = mass / volume. Make sure to use the correct units for mass (grams) and volume (cubic centimeters) to get the density in units of grams per cubic centimeter.