Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What Forumla?

1. Jan 11, 2006 #1
    What formula should I use for this question? I'm thinking hook's law, but It doesnt seem to fit.

A mass is attached to a spring that has a constant of 100 N/m. The mass vibrates with a frequency of 2 Hz.

I have to find the value of the mass and how far it streaches. I know I can use hook's law for the streaching part, but I am unsure of how to carry out this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2006 #2
    [tex] T = \frac {1}{f} = 2 \pi \sqrt {\frac {m}{k}} [/tex]

4. Jan 11, 2006 #3
    Are you sure thats the right one? I mean, it looks as if its finding period not frequency. So wouldnt it be F=1/t= 1/2 pi Sqroot k over m?

5. Jan 11, 2006 #4
    that's just the general equation. it's up to you to do the algebra that will give you the value that you want.

6. Jan 11, 2006 #5
    well based on some information I found, the square root of the mass over K is equal to the equasion of L over g. If all things are reletive then, I should be able to switch it as i would when finding frequency.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  7. Jan 11, 2006 #6
    However, the second question may not have anything to do with hooke's law at all. It may just be F= 1 over 2pi Sqrt g over L

But I am unsure if g is to be used based on earth's speed of gravity or if I am on the right track at all.

8. Jan 11, 2006 #7

why do you do this? the equation i gave you has frequency, mass, and the spring constant. you know two of these, so just solve for the mass.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook