What four effects cause a single engine propeller aircraft to yaw during take-off?

• Thread starter aero&astro
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm looking for four or five reasons why aircraft like the Spitfire tend to yaw during take off. I know the gyroscopic effect is one, but I don't know why or even what this is.

Can anyone help?

Answers and Replies

Great link, nucleus.

I would add that high-powered propeller taildraggers like the P-51 Mustang and the F-4 Corsair could not be given full throttle right off the line. Typical procedures involved slowly advancing the throttle, allowing velocity to build until the tail lifts, then continuing to allow velocity to build until full controllability velocity is achieved before advancing the throttle further and easing back the stick.

Of course, this works well on a nice, long runway. Taking off from a carrier deck (F-4 Corsair), however, was always a little dicey, and the margin between just enough power to obtain flying speed before the end of the deck and enough power to flip the aircraft on it's back was always a little thin.