What fraction of light is reflected from the air water interface?

In summary, the reflection coefficient for light at the air water interface is calculated using the equation R = (\frac{n_{2} - n_{1}}{n_{1} + n_{2}})^2 where n1 = 1 and n2 = 1.33. This results in a reflection coefficient of 0.248, meaning that 25% of the light is reflected and 75% is transmitted. However, upon further calculation, the correct value is actually R = 0.02, meaning that only 2% of the light is reflected. Therefore, the fraction of light reflected is approximately 1/50.
stunner5000pt
What fraction of light is reflected from the air water interface? i.e. How intense is your reflection from a lake?

since the reflection coefficient is [tex] R = (\frac{n_{2} - n_{1}}{n_{1} + n_{2}})^2 [/tex]

n1 = 1 and n2 = 1.33 so R = 0.248. I am not sure how to interprete this?

25% of the light reflects?? is that the appropriate answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt said:
What fraction of light is reflected from the air water interface? i.e. How intense is your reflection from a lake?

since the reflection coefficient is [tex] R = (\frac{n_{2} - n_{1}}{n_{1} + n_{2}})^2 [/tex]

n1 = 1 and n2 = 1.33 so R = 0.248. I am not sure how to interprete this?

25% of the light reflects?? is that the appropriate answer?

Yes. 25% is reflected. 75% is transmitted (refracted).

EDIT: Check your calculation. I get R=0.02, So 2% is reflected.

Last edited:
learningphysics said:
Yes. 25% is reflected. 75% is transmitted (refracted).
so th fraction would be 1/4 right? Thanks for the help!

stunner5000pt said:
so th fraction would be 1/4 right? Thanks for the help!

I get R=0.02

As did I. R = .02

i think you are forgetting to square it it's (0.33/1.33)^2 = 0.062

Nope.

[tex](\frac{1.33-1}{1 + 1.33}) = .1416...[/tex]

[tex].1416309^2 = .020059...[/tex]

I don't see the problem.

EDIT: You divided by the wrong number...it's 2.33 not 1.33

1. What is the air water interface?

The air water interface refers to the boundary between the air and the surface of a body of water, such as a lake, ocean, or even a small puddle.

2. How is light reflected at the air water interface?

Light is reflected at the air water interface due to the difference in refractive indices between air and water. When light travels from a medium with a higher refractive index (air) to a medium with a lower refractive index (water), it is partially reflected and partially transmitted.

3. What fraction of light is reflected at the air water interface?

The fraction of light that is reflected at the air water interface depends on the angle of incidence and the polarization of the light. On average, about 2-3% of the incident light is reflected at this interface.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the fraction of light reflected?

The angle of incidence plays a significant role in determining the fraction of light that is reflected at the air water interface. As the angle of incidence increases, the amount of light reflected also increases, reaching a maximum at around 53 degrees. Beyond this angle, more light is transmitted than reflected.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the fraction of light reflected at the air water interface?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the fraction of light reflected at the air water interface. These include the angle of incidence, the polarization of the incident light, the surface roughness of the water, and the presence of any impurities or pollutants in the water.