1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What gametes are formed?

1. Nov 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://www.xtremepapers.com/AQA/Human%20Biology/2006%20Jan/AQA-BYA5-W-QP-JAN06.pdf [Broken]

If we look at Q6a) we are asked to find Genotype of parents (Aabb and aaBb) and the gametes formed.

What gametes are formed? and why?
    thanks

also, how is part b) calculated?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have worked out the genotype of
    Pea: Aabb
    Rose: aaBb

Now I am not sure if the gametes formed are Aa/bb OR Ab/ab
    which one is correct and why?

Now, with this how do I do b) [i could not work out it even hypothetically)
    thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2011 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Genetics

First check or revise you know what a gamete is and what it can contain.

For question (b), which is independent, you need to know two things

i What is the combined (Rose + Single) percent telling you? - check against the given table.

ii What actually is the HW Law, what does it say?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  4. Nov 19, 2011 #3

what does it mean "the genes are inherited indepentandly"

5. Nov 19, 2011 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To see anything in genetics there have to be differences. So say a parent has a difference in his/her A pair of genes. The parent is Aa. Then the offspring gets A from that parent half the times and gets a half the times. Never mind how the composition shows up as phenotype in the parent or offspring according to the other copy of the gene they have. There are even chances of transmitting one or the other version of the gene.

Now at the other locus, suppose the parent is heterozygous there too, it is Bb. Again it is even chances an offspring gets B or b.

Now suppose a parent is Aa Bb . In most cases if an offspring gets A from it, it has an even chance of getting B or b, and if it gets a it has an even chance of getting B or b. That is the inheritance of A and B are independent.

The extreme opposite is closely linked inheritance. That would be with the above parent, for example whenever the offspring receives A it receives B too and almost never b. That happens when the A gene and the B gene are close together on a chromosome.

The intermediate case when they are neither always together nor independent which happens when A and B are on the same chromosome but get separated by crossovers.

I hope this eases or confirms explanations that must be in your textbook - we here cannot substitute for those.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  6. Nov 19, 2011 #5

thanks for that!

7. Nov 19, 2011 #6

i also understand the next bit
    so question sorted! yey!

8. Nov 19, 2011 #7

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What was the answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook