Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What got you into science?

1. Dec 8, 2015 #1
    The title is pretty self-explanatory. What got me interested into science was, I must say bubbles. When I was 9 I tried to understand why bubbles didn't lasted long. I looked for an explanation on some books and the explanations amazed me.
    So, what got you interested in this awesome journey of knowledge?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2015 #2
    Started? Probably these.
    Devoured those books (age 7 or 8?) and never stopped.
    Thanks for reminding me.

4. Dec 8, 2015 #3
    My Mom and Dad met in a physics class at LSU.

My Mom used to buy all kinds of science books. I'd bring home a book order with all the ones I wanted circled and she'd buy them all. And then she got a Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedia that had a subscription for an annual science yearbook. That was awesome.

5. Dec 8, 2015 #4
    I always had a strong interest in the natural world, I can't remember this ever not being the case, and I especially remember being fascinated by books about deep-ocean fish, just with how strange and alien they seemed. My grandfathers on both sides were surgeons, and my parents inherited one of their libraries, so there were a lot of medical textbooks around. I remember when I was 7 I liked to show off by naming all the bones in the hand.

I know this is a very old cliche, but what really got me into physics in particular was definitely magnets. I had this box of rare-Earth magnets that I stole appropriated from my 4th grade classroom as a prank for science. I think I may still have them somewhere, actually. The whole concept of magnets was very troubling to my 9-year old self and I absolutely had to figure out what they were doing, so I checked out a book from the school library and was even more baffled by what was meant by "fields" and whatever was supposed to be the connection to electricity.

The next book I checked out was Wangsness' Electromagnetic Fields (It had "electricity", "magnetism", and "fields" in the title, so I figured that it would be a good place to look to get my questions answered. I did not know what I would be getting myself into), and later because I..."forgot" to return it, I ended up keeping it. I had absolutely no hope of understanding it, but I did like keeping it around and looking at the diagrams and reading through the sections that were more qualitative, and naming Maxwell's equations became my new favorite trick. Still have that one.

However, in high school I actually wanted to be a composer, I didn't start getting interested in physics again until college when I realized I liked my math classes much more than my music classes.

6. Dec 8, 2015 #5
    Ignorance. I didn't realize that real estate was all that mattered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook