Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Happened To My RAM?

1. Dec 18, 2015 #1
    When I turned on my computer, it was successfully booted up to the Windows Logo and then suddenly restarted.... there, in the menu with the details related to RAM, HDD etc that shows up at first when the computer is booting, My RAM was shown as 1024MB . (I have 2048MB of RAM.... and after the computer booted up to the desktop, It again restarted... and then the RAM was shown as 1.5GB ( I have TWO 1024 MB RAM modules). And when the system booted up to the Windows logo, it again restarted and there the RAM was shown as 1 GB again. This time, the OS was successfully booted up to the desktop and when I checked the properties, the RAM was stated as 1GB. What has happened to my RAM ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2015 #2

Svein

Science Advisor

Probably one of the RAM modules isn't seated properly. Pull the plug, open the case and push firmly on each module. If it wiggles, it isn't seated properly.

4. Dec 19, 2015 #3
    Yep... I unplugged the RAM modules and Fix them back and now it's all right. I have my 2GB memory.
    Thanks.

5. Dec 22, 2015 #4

harborsparrow

Gold Member

This can happen if your computer is getting bounced around. But, it can also happen just due to heating and cooling from turning the computer on and off over a long period of time. Glad it's working again!

6. Dec 22, 2015 #5
    Yeah. I've experienced the same problem about a year ago. That time, one of my RAM modules was burnt. I was a bit frightened when the same thing happened recently, however it's all fine now

I didn't get this. can you please explain it a bit?

7. Dec 22, 2015 #6

harborsparrow

Gold Member

I just meant that parts such as RAM modules, that plug into their jacks, expand when they get warm (when the computer is running hot), and then when you turn the computer off and it cools, they contract. Memory boards can eventually get loose if they were not sufficiently or adequately clamped in place to begin with just due to daily turning the computer on and off, with it's heating (expansion) of parts and then the cooling (contraction) of parts.

8. Dec 22, 2015 #7
    Well that might be the most probable reason as I daily turn my system on and off. some times 2 or 3 times a day.
    Thank You.

9. Dec 23, 2015 #8
    Sometimes just thumping the box, giving a jolt, can fix that kind of thing.
    Always worth try, and often enough it works and stays working.
    Just don't do that sort of thing in front of other people who might get the wrong idea.

10. Dec 25, 2015 #9
    Hmmm... I'll try that next time!:wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook