Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happened to post?

1. Feb 18, 2007 #1
    I made a post in the biology section last night and its gone today. It was comparing T. Rex and Kangaroos. It was mostly biomechanics and comparative anatomy, which are squarely in the realm of biology. The idea may have been a little out there, but, thats how science moves forward.

I also had one of my posts about Chaco Canyon moved from Debunking and Skepticism to General Discussion. The original forum was the one where you want discussions of Chaco Canyon and the Anasazai.

Your starting to look like wieners on my very first day here. I've seen this kind of stuff in far too many forums. The operators yak about lofty scientific and democratic principles. They insist posters follow these principles. Then at the drop of a hat they indulge their own biases and violate these very same principles. Not very scientific or democratic.

If you don't cut it out I'm going to quit posting here!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2007 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, I don't see how your post has been down-graded by its move from the Debunking forum to the Discussion forum. What is there to debunk in your post? :confused:

Another choice would have been to put it in the social sciences/history forums.

4. Feb 18, 2007 #3

ranger

Gold Member

I didnt get to look at your post in the biology section, but you should have at least gotten a PM saying why your post was deleted and what guidelines were broken. Also please note that it was probably deleted becuase it wasnt main stream science, if thats what you mean by "a little out there".

5. Feb 18, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please re-read the forum guidelines regarding overly speculative posting and our requirements that topics be limited to mainstream science, and you'll have the answer as to why the post was deleted. There is nothing in our guidelines about democratic principles. If you have any further questions on it, contact the mentors via private message. If you don't like our guidelines, then nobody is forcing you to stay.

6. Feb 18, 2007 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There's a reason for the guidelines, and IMHO the mentors do a good job on enforcing the guidelines.

That's not a very good comment to make on your first day now, is it?

7. Feb 18, 2007 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Don't worry - we don't hold to any democratic principles here! Science is not a democratic process.

8. Feb 18, 2007 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I couldn't really figure out what your point was, but moving the thread wasn't intended as a slight of any kind.. At most you made an allusion to questions about food and technology, but you offered no references or links, and no definitive question. I nearly put it in the History section but thought that in GD you would get more activity.

That's funny because I do look exactly like a wiener. :biggrin:

9. Feb 18, 2007 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Woo, woo. :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?