What happened to the names? (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What happened to the lists names of logged-in users that (used to) appear at the bottoms of forums?

For me, these lists give a sense of community.

Evo

Mentor
Greg is trying to speed things up, so removed them. :cry:

I'm all in favor of lightening the load, but I'd like them returned also.

marcus

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Evo said:
Greg is trying to speed things up, so removed them. :cry:

I'm all in favor of lightening the load, but I'd like them returned also.
I understand the thinking.
It depends on one's priorities.
I value the sense of fellowship of seeing who else is reading or writing post at the same forum when I'm there. It makes that subforum more of a "place".
And I'm probably not as concerned as some others may be about quick response.

So would I probably agree with Evo in this case---and put the desirability of having the names above whatever change in speed.

Evo

Mentor
I don't know how much of a load it took off the server, but I haven't noticed any improvement since they disappeared.

Or maybe it was only to remove stuff from the server.

JasonRox

... to graduate school.
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I was hoping to get a Math Club going and possibly raise money for PF. I doubt that would happen because it probably wouldn't be approved by the school.

Cant see who is online

I cant see who is online in any of the threads anymore. Things change round here, or is it a bug?

cyrusabdollahi said:
I cant see who is online in any of the threads anymore. Things change round here, or is it a bug?
:rolleyes: :bugeye:

A mentor moved my thread into this one mattmns, so stop being a smart you know what. :biggrin:

Mk

JasonRox said:
I was hoping to get a Math Club going and possibly raise money for PF. I doubt that would happen because it probably wouldn't be approved by the school.
How honorable. I like the idea.

...No, it would never pass. :rofl:

Lisa!

Gold Member
Without names, forums seems like a ghost town to me! Ah names aren't also alphabetically listed on index.

Last edited:

Evo

Mentor
They're important, I feel like I'm in a void if I don't see who else is there. :frown:

Lisa!

Gold Member
I wonder what's the next thing that admins are going to remove! Old mebers or forums? :uhh:

<runs and hides>

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
They're important, I feel like I'm in a void if I don't see who else is there. :frown:
For me, they're also very important. Often, immediately after clicking on a forum, I scroll down to the bottom to see who's on (first). In fact, out of habit, I'm still doing this today.

As I said in my first post, if I don't see the names, then I lose a sustantial part of my sense of community.

Doc Al

Mentor
I agree. Without the names, I feel like I'm in a ghost town.

Lisa! said:
Without names, forums seems like a ghost town to me! Ah names aren't also alphabetically listed on index.

The only name you are worried about being online is mine.

Lisa!

Gold Member
The only name you are worried about being online is mine.
Since you are not jealous at all and I can freely talk to other guys even when you're on, I just don't care whether you're here or not!o:)

Lisa!

Gold Member
Oh thanks to admins, finally some faces appeare in the ghost town! :smile:

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic