What Happened to the Logged-In User Lists on Forums?

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
In summary, the lists of logged-in users that used to appear at the bottoms of forums were removed. Greg is trying to speed things up, so they were removed. Some people value the sense of community they get from seeing who else is reading or writing posts at the same forum, while others are not as concerned about quick response. It depends on one's priorities.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What happened to the lists names of logged-in users that (used to) appear at the bottoms of forums?

For me, these lists give a sense of community.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg is trying to speed things up, so removed them. :cry:

I'm all in favor of lightning the load, but I'd like them returned also.

Evo said:
Greg is trying to speed things up, so removed them. :cry:

I'm all in favor of lightning the load, but I'd like them returned also.

I understand the thinking.
It depends on one's priorities.
I value the sense of fellowship of seeing who else is reading or writing post at the same forum when I'm there. It makes that subforum more of a "place".
And I'm probably not as concerned as some others may be about quick response.

So would I probably agree with Evo in this case---and put the desirability of having the names above whatever change in speed.

I don't know how much of a load it took off the server, but I haven't noticed any improvement since they disappeared.

Or maybe it was only to remove stuff from the server.

I was hoping to get a Math Club going and possibly raise money for PF. I doubt that would happen because it probably wouldn't be approved by the school.

Cant see who is online

I can't see who is online in any of the threads anymore. Things change round here, or is it a bug?

cyrusabdollahi said:
I can't see who is online in any of the threads anymore. Things change round here, or is it a bug?
:rolleyes: :bugeye:

A mentor moved my thread into this one mattmns, so stop being a smart you know what. :biggrin:

JasonRox said:
I was hoping to get a Math Club going and possibly raise money for PF. I doubt that would happen because it probably wouldn't be approved by the school.
How honorable. I like the idea.

...No, it would never pass. :rofl:

Without names, forums seems like a ghost town to me! Ah names aren't also alphabetically listed on index.

Last edited:
They're important, I feel like I'm in a void if I don't see who else is there. :frown:

I wonder what's the next thing that admins are going to remove! Old mebers or forums? :uhh:

<runs and hides>

Evo said:
They're important, I feel like I'm in a void if I don't see who else is there. :frown:

For me, they're also very important. Often, immediately after clicking on a forum, I scroll down to the bottom to see who's on (first). In fact, out of habit, I'm still doing this today.

As I said in my first post, if I don't see the names, then I lose a sustantial part of my sense of community.

I agree. Without the names, I feel like I'm in a ghost town.

Lisa! said:
Without names, forums seems like a ghost town to me! Ah names aren't also alphabetically listed on index.

The only name you are worried about being online is mine.

The only name you are worried about being online is mine.
Since you are not jealous at all and I can freely talk to other guys even when you're on, I just don't care whether you're here or not!o:)

Oh thanks to admins, finally some faces appeare in the ghost town! :smile:

1. What is the significance of names in science?

In science, names serve as a way to identify and categorize different organisms, elements, and other objects. They allow scientists to communicate and refer to specific things in a consistent and organized manner.

2. Why do scientific names change?

Scientific names can change for a variety of reasons. One common reason is that new information or discoveries may lead to a better understanding of an organism, and therefore a more accurate name. Names can also change due to updates in classification systems or to avoid confusion with existing names.

3. How are scientific names created?

Scientific names follow a specific format called binomial nomenclature, which was developed by Carl Linnaeus. The first part of the name is the genus, followed by the species. This system allows for each organism to have a unique and standardized name.

4. What happens to old scientific names?

Old scientific names may become obsolete or fall out of use if a more accurate or widely accepted name is established. However, old names can still be referenced and may be included in historical literature or databases.

5. Can scientific names be changed back?

Yes, scientific names can be changed back if new evidence or research supports the reclassification of an organism. However, this process can be complex and may require a consensus among the scientific community.