Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Happens After You Die?

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1
    My theory:

Subjective awareness is relocated. Since you can never experience "non-experience" then simply "you" (your memories, experiences, physical traits, qualia etc.) cease to exist. But this does not rule out the possibility of you (as in the experiencer which is "you") being reborn as another conscious being. If you think about it, we just seem to come into existence out of nowhere: "non-existence". When you die is also non-existence therefore I think it is very plausible that we are reborn, of course not as the same people, just as any being able to experience existence.

(I am not religious/spiritual.)

Post your thoughts.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2
    I think you die, and that's the end. It sounds plausible that you will have another existence, but I don't believe in that.

Depressing no?

Well, I wouldn't mind some extravagant afterlife. :smile:

4. Feb 23, 2009 #3
    I'm guessing you get moved.

5. Feb 23, 2009 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

"The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
    The ants play pinochle on your snout..."

6. Feb 23, 2009 #5
    Your 'theory' is a bit thin no? ;)

If I think about it, I think my parents had some part to play? Their combined DNA/RNA machinery created me. Encoded in this structure is both the data about me, and the algorithm (chaotic process) that creates me. That's allready pretty fantastic if you think about it, but it's surely NOT 'out of nowhere'.

So your theory is bogus imo :)

/Frederic

7. Feb 23, 2009 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Avalon, this is the FOURTH thread you have started on this subject. Locked.

8. Feb 23, 2009 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very scary; I was going to say the same thing. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook