What happens if a add the following acids

• Thread starter joejo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acids
In summary: Would you like me to elaborate further?Adding the acid shifts the equilibrium to the right, thus adding any type of arrehnius acid (one that has an acidic proton) to a solution of Cr2072- intensify the orange color; the rate of formation of Cr207 should have increased relatively since the 0H- is consumed (the reverse reaction rate has decreased relative to the forward from equilibrium where the two rates were the same). Adding a base will cause it to react with the acid concentration, the same principle applies here.Thus, adding either an acid or a base will change the color of a solution of K2CrO4 and K2Cr2O7. Ca(OH)2 had little
joejo
Hey guys...Can someone please explain to me what the general affect of adding the following acids and bases to my original test on equilibrium where I had K2CrO4 and K2Cr2O7.

Observations I had made...

Solution of K2CrO4
CH3COOH becomes orange
H2SO4 becomes orange
KOH stays yellow
NH3 stays yellow
Ca(OH)2 stays yellow
C2H5OH no change

Solution of K2Cr2O7
CH3COOH stays orange
H2SO4 stays orange
KOH becomes yellow
NH3 becomes yellow
Ca(OH)2 becomes very pale
C2H5OH no change

so can someone please help explain to me what the general affect of the acids and bases are?

Also, I've noticed that Ca(OH)2 hadlittle effect on the equilibrium. Why is that?

Lastly, in what way does OH- affect the equilibrium? Does it affect it any way??

thanks again for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, write down the reaction, preferably through latex.

sorry I don't know latex...

CrO2-4 (the 4 is under the 2-) / Cr2O2- 7 (the 7 is under the 2-)

[ tex ] (CrO_4)^{2-} [ /tex ]

If you take out the gaps in the tex tags, that will give you:

[tex] (CrO_4)^{2-} [/tex]

I'm referring to the whole reaction, balanced, it should have been provided to you...wasn't it?

H+ (aq) + 2CrO4 2- (aq) --><--- Cr2O72- (aq) +OH- (aq)

so can someone please help explain to me what the general affect of the acids and bases are?

Also, I've noticed that Ca(OH)2 hadlittle effect on the equilibrium. Why is that?

Lastly, in what way does OH- affect the equilibrium? Does it affect it any way??

thanks again for your help!

assuming that Cr207 is orange and Cr04 is yellow

Adding the acid shifts the equilibrium to the right, thus adding any type of arrehnius acid (one that has an acidic proton) to a solution of Cr2072- intensify the orange color; the rate of formation of Cr207 should have increased relatively since the 0H- is consumed (the reverse reaction rate has decreased relative to the forward from equilibrium where the two rates were the same). Adding a base will cause it to react with the acid concentration, the same principle applies here.

ohh yep that makes sense...thanks for u help GCT

but what is the general affect?

well it depends on what the reaction is, acids and bases are treated just like any other compound in dealing with La Chatelier's principle. Perhaps I'm not understanding you correctly.

Related to What happens if a add the following acids

1. What happens if I add sulfuric acid?

When sulfuric acid is added to water, it dissociates into hydrogen ions (H+) and sulfate ions (SO4^2-). This results in an increase in hydrogen ion concentration, making the solution more acidic. The acid also reacts with most metals, producing hydrogen gas and a metal sulfate compound.

2. What happens if I add hydrochloric acid?

Adding hydrochloric acid to water produces hydrogen ions (H+) and chloride ions (Cl-). This increases the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution, making it more acidic. Hydrochloric acid is also a strong corrosive agent and can react with many metals, releasing hydrogen gas.

3. What happens if I add nitric acid?

When nitric acid is added to water, it dissociates into hydrogen ions (H+) and nitrate ions (NO3-). This results in an increase in hydrogen ion concentration, making the solution more acidic. Nitric acid is also a strong oxidizing agent and can react with many organic compounds, causing them to decompose.

4. What happens if I add acetic acid?

Acetic acid, also known as vinegar, is a weak acid. When added to water, it dissociates into hydrogen ions (H+) and acetate ions (CH3COO-). This results in a slight increase in hydrogen ion concentration, making the solution slightly more acidic. Acetic acid is commonly used in cooking and as a household cleaner.

5. What happens if I add citric acid?

Citric acid is a weak organic acid found in citrus fruits. When added to water, it dissociates into hydrogen ions (H+) and citrate ions (C6H5O7^3-). This results in a slight increase in hydrogen ion concentration, making the solution slightly more acidic. Citric acid is commonly used as a food additive and in cleaning products.