The Dangers of Sleep Deprivation: Can You Die from Not Sleeping?

• Thread starter sherlockjones
  • Start date
In summary, someone can stay up for a whole week without sleeping, but it's not healthy and can lead to hallucinations.
sherlockjones
someone stays up work a whole week without sleeping? can he die?

what about coffee? is it a good acaloric beverage to give someone a quick fix-me up?

Right now I see, hear, feel, smell and taste. I am thankful for that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless there's some chronic reason that you can't sleep at all, you won't die. Sheer will-power can't keep you awake to that point. You will, however, experience something very like being on drugs. I was up for 142 hours once (with 3 hours of naps), and hallucinations were just starting to set in.

Longest I have ever been awake was close to 72 hours. Halucinations usually set in after the first 40.

I don't think it's possible to stay awake for a whole week without special training. Anyway, it's not healty...

I've seen a BBC documentary about this. People were taken through a trek in a jungle without any sleep at all. When the doctors came up to check them, the refused to say anything, even their names! I'll try to get a link to the programme(if available) for a better explanation.

If kept awake for long enough you will die. However, this requires more than just willpower as already stated. IIRC the body temp starts to drop.

I've read several articles on people dying from staying up too long. Mainly, they were gaming for extremely long periods of time.

After this entire ordeal... You should probably take two days off...

Coffee is not a good fix-me-up because it doesn't fix you up. At most, it gives a temporary boost but leaves you more tired. After cutting out caffeine, I became far more alert generally than I was before.

I think people can probably stay awake indefinitely but surely only after training and it wouldn't be a very wakeful state. It would probably take some years to master. I say this because sometimes I stay up late sitting at the PC, but because I'm not exerting myself, I then have say 5 hours of sleep and feel okay the next day.

What happens if I mix bleach and ammonia?

Mixing bleach and ammonia creates a toxic gas called chloramine, which can cause severe respiratory issues and even death. It is important to never mix these two chemicals together.

What happens if I don't get enough sleep?

Not getting enough sleep can lead to a range of negative consequences, such as impaired cognitive function, increased risk of chronic diseases, and a weakened immune system. It is important to aim for 7-9 hours of sleep each night for optimal health.

What happens if I eat too much sugar?

Eating too much sugar can lead to weight gain, increased risk of chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease, and tooth decay. It is recommended to limit added sugars to less than 10% of your daily calorie intake.

What happens if I touch a hot stove?

If you touch a hot stove, your skin will likely burn and blister. It is important to immediately run the affected area under cool water for at least 10 minutes to help soothe the pain and prevent further damage.

What happens if I leave my car running in a closed garage?

Leaving your car running in a closed garage can lead to a buildup of carbon monoxide, a poisonous gas that can cause dizziness, nausea, and even death. Always make sure to turn off your car and open the garage door before leaving the vehicle running.