Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happens with drag and students?

1. Feb 26, 2005 #1

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

During my standing here, I have seen a lot of repetitive threads. But the most recurrent question of every students who post here is about air resistance and drag coefficient. What happens with it?. Is there any hidden mystery we could not see?. This fact is starting to be very unusual and curious. It seems like professors at school don't explain the stuff very well.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I would think that one reason is that when students start with classical mechanics of particles and rigid bodies, they get so used to the idea that kinetic friction is proportional to normal forces that they start to think of all resistive/dissipative forces in this manner. That is, when they encounter air resistance, they think it as weird and diffucult to understand that a resistive force doesn't follow the scheme they are used to.
  4. Feb 26, 2005 #3
    To me, the repetitive questions tend toward actually using the formula to do experiments with real objects (who knows what these people do, because they have not had differential equations).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?