What has been the most important lesson(s) you have learned in your life?

In summary, members of a forum chat about important lessons in life, such as listening to your parents, always being cautious of belief, trusting your instincts, and not losing your temper. They also discuss the relationship between effort and results and the idea of infatuation in relation to belief. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the importance of being mindful and making wise decisions in life.
sebas531 said:
Well, I was reading a thread and I read this guy's story and I thought it woudl be nice to post it here.
:smile: The lesson can be condensed into : "Try and follow your heart wherever possible. If you're reasonably intelligent, there's no reason you cannot make a living doing what you love."

Physics news on Phys.org
Everyday you start out with 86400 seconds to use, the ones you lose you never get back.

Which is another way of restating one of my favorite quotes.

Life is not lost by dying, life is lost minute by minute, day by dragging day, in all the thousand small uncaring ways.
-Stephen Vincent Bent

Likes gracy
I have a few:

Life is not fair.

No one owes you a living.

Brush your teeth every day.

Cheer up. No one wants to hang around a gloomy person.

Clean oil is cheaper than a new engine (at least at the time of this writing).

At risk of turning this into a thread of Yorkshire proverbs, I have one which I try to remember whenever making a big decision:

Where there's muck, there's brass.

In fact, it's time for a new signature.

Last edited by a moderator:
have faith in your future.

know what you want.

when you're upset with someone, feel sorry for them instead of yourself.

I think that the most important lesson I will learn will be just before my death. It usually is the time when people begin to realize and learn.
So far I've learned to avoid evil, friends (as the same people who you hang out with almost every single day.)
I also learned to don't require anything from life.
To experience life and like it as it is.
I've also learned to don't get angry at people who have done something wrong or are angry at you too.
I think these are the most important lessons I've learned so far.

If you do not lie, you don't have to remember the lies so you can repeat them later. If you always tell the truth, your mind is clear to tackle other more important things.

The Golden Rule is real ethics. Morality is ethics on lies (this is your ethics on drugs). The ethical man does what is right. The moral man does what he thinks his god will let him get away with. God has a really warm place set aside for moral men.

Ben Franklin said that if you love life, you shouldn't waste time, because time is what life is made of. Try to do productive things (even little productive things) all through the day. Do them in a way that makes the best use of your time, and you will find the time to do more.

Take time to reflect, and take time to spend with your family. Nobody ever died saying "I wish I spent more time at work". Remember that the younger people and the older people in your family may be undergoing stresses that are different from yours. You may be able to help a lot, even with a tiny bit of effort. Try.

Not to take life too seriously.

I'm always right, even when I'm wrong

I've been giving this more thought, and I find that there are many lessons - some big and others small.

One lesson distilled from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is Zaphod's First Principle -

"The basic business of life is to have a wonderfully good time, while not allowing anyone else or anything to deflect, divert or distract one from having a wonderfully good time."

Last edited:
Don't throw your old fan belt away (assuming you check your belts and replace them before they break). You can slip it under the back seat or in the trunk for an emergency.

BobG said:
Don't throw your old fan belt away (assuming you check your belts and replace them before they break). You can slip it under the back seat or in the trunk for an emergency.
Or keep one pantyhose in the glove compartment, just in case. :biggrin: It's the next best thing to a towel.

Oh, and

DON'T PANIC

Last edited:
To not let events that are outside of your range of influence affect you negatively.
To take responsibility for your own happiness. To not let your happiness depend on outside events or other people. To realize that you are able to handle anything life throws at you and that you are in ultimate control of how you let things affect you emotionally and how you act in any given situation.

Galileo said:
To not let events that are outside of your range of influence affect you negatively.
To take responsibility for your own happiness. To not let your happiness depend on outside events or other people. To realize that you are able to handle anything life throws at you and that you are in ultimate control of how you let things affect you emotionally and how you act in any given situation.

Good advice. I will be quoting you in the future.

Don't take advice from people on the internet

It's best not to be your own judge, because you will forever be biased one way or another.

Sometimes it may seem a tad bit awkward or embarassing to step out and try to entertain others, but as long as you answer the feeling to do so (rather than sit there thinking if others will view you badly if you do so), much more happiness will come out of it than you expected; for yourself and others.

We are here to entertain each other, not to work with each other toward some end. This is why we live, and what we live for. There is no end, since we live for each other, not for our work. The work we do (the goals and tasks we accomplish) are just the "wake", or "remnants" of our true aforementioned purpose.

Half of these quotes have been rediculous

Astronuc said:
Or keep one pantyhose in the glove compartment, just in case. :biggrin:

...pepper for a leaky radiator, STP for white smoke, and sawdust [or Gas-X] for a noisy rear end.

In that light, the ideal tool kit:
pliers
bailing wire
epoxy
add JB Weld for hard-core types

I can fix anything with fast drying epoxy. :biggrin:

Well said

Galileo said:

I try to instill this in my kids every chance I get, hopefully they will internalize these principles to a greater degree than I did!

Howard

Recently been considering...live hard, die early:smile:

Mess with the best and die like the rest.

1) to never ride a motorcycle on a rainy day...

2) Never tease a dog when it is having its meal...

3) Never put your finger in the electrical wall socket esp...when the switch is on...:rofl: :rofl:

jake