Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What has been your biggest FAILURE in Life? Admit it!

1. Jan 9, 2004 #1
    I think mine was not completing College. I had straight A's in the School of Forestry but my family obligations became such I couldn't continue. I really regret it and my Life has been much harder for it.

Another is not as of yet having developed a working Time Machine.
    (probably won't, either)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2004 #2
    Failing to get with that one girl from high school. Man she was a fox. And smart too.

4. Jan 9, 2004 #3
    Not living up to my potential. Not becuase I let everyone else down, but because I let myself down.

5. Jan 9, 2004 #4
    Yea me too, i have let myself down by not putting enough effort into my school or college work.

6. Jan 9, 2004 #5
    Considering anything I've done in the past as a failure seems all too self-deprecrating. IMO, failure is only present in the result, and there's always time to derive a different one. If you feel you shouldn't have quit school, go back. If you feel you haven't given something enough attention, do so now. The anticipation of less-than-desirable results is what motivates a lot of people to achieve more. What would life be like making decisions without some trepidation?

7. Jan 9, 2004 #6
    In the process of rectifying my mistakes as we speak.

8. Jan 9, 2004 #7
    Bad money management. My business would be much further along at this point had I looked at needs, instead of attainable wants

9. Jan 9, 2004 #8
    It did strike me as slightly unusual when you mentioned your were in the automotive field. But then I don't even have a physics degree myself, so I'll just plod on through the glass house.

10. Jan 9, 2004 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Descartes, you are an inspiration to us all...

I personally do not feel that I have failed in anything. Looking back, I could have made better decisions along the way, but at least I *made* a decision. I learn from my mistakes.

11. Jan 9, 2004 #10
    Getting a B in additional math in a crucial exam one and a half years ago. My heart aches everytime I think of it or when others talk about it, especially last year. My life would be totally different if I got A. [b(]

:frown:

edit: In that exam, I misread isosceles triangle as equilatural triangle and lost a lot of marks. That was a long question that worthed 12 marks.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2004
  12. Jan 9, 2004 #11
    Very kind words, thank you.

13. Jan 10, 2004 #12
    1. Being my worst critic

2. Had I been much decisive, I would've been a med student by now

Last edited: Jan 10, 2004
  14. Jan 10, 2004 #13
    Yea i had always wanted to get an aprenticeship of some sort when i left school at 16, but i didnt get one so i went to college to pass the time and studied physics and chemistry, but because i didnt try hard enough i didnt do aswell in the exams as i know i could have done. So i spent 2 years passing my spare time by studying Physics and Chemistry [?] . I must be Nuts.

15. Jan 10, 2004 #14
    no more nuts than the ret of us.. lol

16. Jan 10, 2004 #15

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am still young, but: not recognizing true beauty when it was staring me in the eyes..

17. Jan 10, 2004 #16
    Not being together enough in the head as a very young man to have as my approach to a scary world a helpful attitude. Also, I wish I had discovered in my teen years the literature of John Holt and Grace Llewelyn. These days I've managed to extricate the obediance to school from my tissues (takes time and work even after you know better on an intellectual level), but it would have helped in other areas of life to have gotten an earlier start...

18. Jan 10, 2004 #17

jimmy p

Gold Member

I reckon it has to be the same as andy, wasting my time in full time education...hell im still doing it!

I suppose in retrospect i could say that my main failing is not asserting myself, im too happy go lucky and carefree to give a crap about important things until after they have happened!

19. Jan 10, 2004 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[?] [?] [?]

20. Jan 10, 2004 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My biggerst failure: Underestimating the greed and ambitions of others. For years I was a complete sap and it cost me a lot; money and heart. Too much trust.

Sorry, I know this sounds pretty negative but I do consider this my biggest failure and lesson in life.

21. Jan 10, 2004 #20

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that was my biggest failure..

22. Jan 11, 2004 #21
    caring too much about what other people think, letting life pass me by

23. Jan 11, 2004 #22
    My lack of will power, every time I tell myself to study more or work harder I never do and I end up stalling. Much like what I am doing now by posting on this forum instead of studying for midterms. I've tried everything to stop my constant stalling. I've set goal and whatever else and nothing seems to work. If anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them.

24. Jan 11, 2004 #23
    I'll just nod my head and agree with everything you say

25. Jan 11, 2004 #24

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey Dark Ant,
    Perhaps it would help to do what I used to do. First, you can't be around any distractions; focus, focus, focus. Learn to become completely absorbed by the demands of your studies. I made these my highest priority every minute of every day. Take breaks and get some sleep; and surely a little fun is needed from time to time, but if you view your studies as THE thing and not just A thing that you do, then the priorities begin to set themselves. I also found that a few quick games that require complete concentration would sometimes help. Ping Pong was always a favorite of mine.

I noticed that your are on Kwajalein Island. I almost spent some time there - about six months - for the National Missile Defense program. Unfortunately, at the last minute my customer lost the start-up contract for Boeing. I did the initial testing on the launch release system.

I hear the scuba diving is fantastic. Everyone was getting certified until the contract fell through.

Do you see many missile launches?

Edit? Hey! I just remembered, no one lives on Kwajalein.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2004
  26. Dec 18, 2006 #25
    Life

Hello,
    I would say my biggest failure would
    1) Thinking too much about what other people with think.
    2) Not adjusting with the surrounding, having too much ego
    3) I could have been anything I wanted if I had worked hard. I have a masters in electrical and Comp engg with not working too hard. I wish I had more self belief.

But whats gone is gone. I belive I still got what it needs to really make it big in this world.

Hope you guys can help me in giving some advice on being more self confident.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook