What has this site come too?

• Thread starter h8ter
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the changes in policy on the site, specifically regarding the allowance of crank theories and religious discussions. There are differing opinions, with some members expressing disappointment in the lack of theory development on the site, while others defend the site's focus on learning and understanding current knowledge in physics. The suggestion to have a subforum for crank theories is met with the explanation that it would be a waste of resources. The conversation ends with a sarcastic response and the topic being locked by an administrator.
h8ter
what has this site come too?

Seriously, I used to love coming to this site before I was a member. In particular, I loved theory development. I liked reading peoples new theories or ones that debunk the current ones. Why can't we do that anymore? I mean it is theory "DEVELOPMENT!" Does that not say anything?? Maybe you people should change the title, because obviously it is not a place to post theories and develop them, rather it is a place to post theories and get them closed. Let the cranks post their theories. You say that you don't feel like dealing with them?? Well, then don't. Let others argue with them. Don't immediately close the thread, wait til it gets totally out of hand and then take actions. This site has gone downhill and I doubt it will ever climb back up. It was actually interesting before the new policy came in. Now, it is just not fun.

Just my thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are plenty of other sites where you can read crank theories. Go there, instead of whining about our policies. In the majority of our members' opinions, the site has actually gone WAY uphill.

- Warren

First thing, this site is pretty much perfect. I dare you to suggest something, for there isn't much else you could suggest. And if you could suggest something positive, most likely if would be incorperated by the Admins.

The whole focus of this site is to learn as a community, grow as a community, and futher the understanding of current knowledge (facts) in physics. Crackpots have no help in that formula.

Paden Roder

I have a suggestion. You should allow the discussion of religious topics. I do not see how this doesn't help us grow in our understanding of life. When you only talk about 1 side of the argument you are being bias.

This is a science site, not a religious site. You can make all the suggestions you'd like in regards to religion, but it just isn't going to happen. The site used to allow religious discussion, but they required nearly constant moderator invervention and rarely went beyond two pages of decent debate before spiralling into personal attacks. We just don't need it here. There are other places on the web where you are more than welcome to debate religion.

- Warren

Last edited:
Crank sites do not have forums on them. Why can't there be a sub forum called "Cranks." I think that is a good suggestion. What is the real reason why you don't want these cranks posting?? Is it too hard for you to counter their theories, so you put up a policy saying no more cranks? I think that has something to do with it. Your background of knowledge is crumbling and is unhelpful in countering the new knowledge that will soon be the basis of the universe.

h8ter said:
Crank sites do not have forums on them.

Au, contraire!

http://www.sciforums.com

Have a blast! :smile:

Why can't there be a sub forum called "Cranks."

For the same reason I don't use my living room for a toilet.

I think that is a good suggestion. What is the real reason why you don't want these cranks posting??

The reason has been posted many times in many threads. The crank theories serve no purpose other than to drain site resources. You say that those crank theories are more "interesting" than real physics. That is very much akin to an adolescent who thinks that comic books are more interesting than great literature.

Is it too hard for you to counter their theories, so you put up a policy saying no more cranks?

No, we countered their theories very successfully for almost 3 years. The problem in my opinion is the volume of unreasoned garbage that was coming in. It is simply not humanly possible to keep up with all of it.

And there is no reason at all why we should have to.

I think that has something to do with it. Your background of knowledge is crumbling and is unhelpful in countering the new knowledge that will soon be the basis of the universe.

:rofl:

Go to school, kid.

In the meantime, I'm locking this topic, because it's obviously not meant to give any kind of constructive feedback. When we start an "Ill Founded Rant Forum", I'll move this topic there and unlock it. Thanks for the chuckle, anyway.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of this site?

This site is designed to provide information and resources on a particular topic or subject. It may also serve as a platform for discussion and community engagement.

2. Who manages this site?

The site may be managed by a team of individuals or a specific organization. It is important to check the "About" or "Contact" section of the site to find out who is responsible for its content and maintenance.

3. Is the information on this site reliable?

The reliability of the information on this site depends on its source. It is always important to fact-check and verify the information provided on any website. Look for reputable sources and check for citations or references.

4. Can I trust the opinions expressed on this site?

The opinions expressed on this site may not necessarily reflect the views of its managers or contributors. It is important to consider multiple perspectives and sources before forming your own opinion.

5. How frequently is this site updated?

The frequency of updates on this site varies depending on its purpose and the availability of its managers or contributors. Some sites may be updated daily, while others may only be updated periodically. Check for a "Last Updated" date or subscribe to the site's newsletter for the latest updates.