Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What has this site come too?

1. Sep 11, 2004 #1
    what has this site come too???

Seriously, I used to love coming to this site before I was a member. In particular, I loved theory development. I liked reading peoples new theories or ones that debunk the current ones. Why can't we do that anymore? I mean it is theory "DEVELOPMENT!!" Does that not say anything?? Maybe you people should change the title, because obviously it is not a place to post theories and develop them, rather it is a place to post theories and get them closed. Let the cranks post their theories. You say that you don't feel like dealing with them?? Well, then don't. Let others argue with them. Don't immediately close the thread, wait til it gets totally out of hand and then take actions. This site has gone downhill and I doubt it will ever climb back up. It was actually interesting before the new policy came in. Now, it is just not fun.

Just my thoughts.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are plenty of other sites where you can read crank theories. Go there, instead of whining about our policies. In the majority of our members' opinions, the site has actually gone WAY uphill.

- Warren

4. Sep 11, 2004 #3
    First thing, this site is pretty much perfect. I dare you to suggest something, for there isn't much else you could suggest. And if you could suggest something positive, most likely if would be incorperated by the Admins.

The whole focus of this site is to learn as a community, grow as a community, and futher the understanding of current knowledge (facts) in physics. Crackpots have no help in that formula.

Paden Roder

5. Sep 11, 2004 #4
    I have a suggestion. You should allow the discussion of religious topics. I do not see how this doesnt help us grow in our understanding of life. When you only talk about 1 side of the arguement you are being bias.

6. Sep 11, 2004 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a science site, not a religious site. You can make all the suggestions you'd like in regards to religion, but it just isn't going to happen. The site used to allow religious discussion, but they required nearly constant moderator invervention and rarely went beyond two pages of decent debate before spiralling into personal attacks. We just don't need it here. There are other places on the web where you are more than welcome to debate religion.

- Warren

7. Sep 11, 2004 #6
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  8. Sep 11, 2004 #7
    Crank sites do not have forums on them. Why can't there be a sub forum called "Cranks." I think that is a good suggestion. What is the real reason why you don't want these cranks posting?? Is it too hard for you to counter their theories, so you put up a policy saying no more cranks? I think that has something to do with it. Your background of knowledge is crumbling and is unhelpful in countering the new knowledge that will soon be the basis of the universe.

9. Sep 11, 2004 #8

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Au, contraire!

http://www.sciforums.com

Have a blast! :smile:

For the same reason I don't use my living room for a toilet.

The reason has been posted many times in many threads. The crank theories serve no purpose other than to drain site resources. You say that those crank theories are more "interesting" than real physics. That is very much akin to an adolescent who thinks that comic books are more interesting than great literature.

No, we countered their theories very successfully for almost 3 years. The problem in my opinion is the volume of unreasoned garbage that was coming in. It is simply not humanly possible to keep up with all of it.

And there is no reason at all why we should have to.

:rofl:

Go to school, kid.

In the meantime, I'm locking this topic, because it's obviously not meant to give any kind of constructive feedback. When we start an "Ill Founded Rant Forum", I'll move this topic there and unlock it. Thanks for the chuckle, anyway.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?