1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What have I done?

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    What have I done???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (linear transformation)
    Let T: R2 -> R3 be a linear transformation such that T(e1) = u1 and T(e2) = u2, where u1 = [1; 0; -1] and u2 = [2; 1; 0]. Find each of the following:
    T([1; 1]) and T([2; -1])

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is the thing. I've been sitting with this problem for a good hour, and cannot figure out. I just started playing around with numbers, toss em around a little bit, and in the end I've got the correct answer... But can somebody explain me, WHY is this the right way of doing it?? lol

First, I looked at u1 and u2 as a matrix A = [1 2; 0 1; -1 0]. Then i did a familiar A*e1 = b1 and A*e2 = b2, where I got b1= [1; 0; -1] and b2 = [2; 1; 0].. (thinking out loud, every matrix multiplication is a transformation, so it must be relating somehow..)

I let b1 and b2 be matrix (i call it transformation matrix) B = [1 2; 0 1; -1 0]

then I decided to multiply this transformation matrix B by a vector that needs to be transformed from R2 to R3 [1; 1] and got
    [1 2; 0 1; -1 0] * [1; 1] = [3; 1; -1]

By why in the name of Albert did it work?? lol did I have a correct logic through out the problem??

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: What have I done???

Yes. If T is a linear transformation on vector space V, and [itex]\{e_1, e_2, ..., e_n\}[/itex] is a basis for V, then the matrix representation of T, relative to this basis (and, if the range space is different, a specific basis for the range) just has [itex]T(e_1)[/itex], [itex]T(e_2)[/itex], etc. as columns.

To see why that is true, remember that we would always have [itex]e_1= 1e_1+ 0e_2+ ...+ 0e_n[/itex] so in matrix multiplication, it would be represented by the column matrix [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\ ... \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]. Multiplying any matrix by that just gives the first column of the matrix. Similarly, [itex]e_2[/itex] would be represented by [tex]\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1\\ 0 \\...\\0\end{bmatrix}[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook