1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What/How well should I study?

1. Sep 3, 2007 #1
    <Moved from EE Section>

I am going to get a major in EE;

From Wikipedia, I see that the different fields are:

Power, Control, Electronics, Microelectronics, Signal processing, Telecommunications, Instrumentation engineering, and Computers; these seem to pretty well correlate to Oregon State Universities different tracks for the EE degree.

I have no idea which fields interest me until I actually take classes, but I did have some practical questions to ask to help make that decision.

#1 How difficult is it to find a job in each area, assuming I do not want to have to move to a high-technology area. (I currently live in Salem Oregon) I wouldn't mind having to move to Portland, OR.

#2 Question #1, if I were willing to move.

#3 Which fields require more knowledge of mathematics and physics, and would be beneficial to minor in one/or both.

My last question is regarding remembering what I've learned. I just finished my three-term general chemistry course. Is it helpful to continue to review what I've learned? (Acids/Bases, Kinetic Theory, Energy, Entropy, Thermodynamics, Reaction Rates)

How well should I retain math? Should I just make sure I can solve any problem given? Or should I make sure I am still able to prove any given theorem.

Thank you very much.

David

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2007 #2
    I can't really answer Q1 because I don't live in that area. But in the case of Q2, Control, Signal Processing, and Telecommunications all require a great deal of math. You won't necessary need a math minor but having one wouldn't hurt. As a EE, some level of basic chemistry is required. However I have yet to use any of what I learned in Chem in my job and I don't see that changing in the future either. If your working for a semiconductor manufacturing company that might be a different question. You should always retain your math skills throughout college, you don't necessary need to know how to solve every problem but be able to still remember how to integrate, differentiate, etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?