Travel at 3,000,001 m/s: Time Travel Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time travel and the theory that states it is impossible to reach the speed of light. The participants also mention the idea of seeing invisible unicorns and the self-contradictory nature of trying to ignore a fundamental law of physics. The thread is closed due to straying off-topic.
frankin garcia
would that person go into the future?why? also if i travel 1,000,000 m/s on Earth and my friend travels 20m/s per second on Earth would we experience 2 different time frame? so basically the second question is if someone travels a different speed than me on Earth whether the difference of speed is drastic or minuscule would we experience different time frames?( i don't care how small the different time frame is either)

Physics news on Phys.org
frankin garcia said:
would that person go into the future?why?
ithink you mean 300,000 km/s or 300,000,000 metres per second.

No. It is impossible to reach that speed in the way you mean it.
frankin garcia said:
also if i travel 1,000,000 m/s on Earth and my friend travels 20m/s per second on Earth would we experience 2 different time frame? so basically the second question is if someone travels a different speed than me on Earth whether the difference of speed is drastic or minuscule would we experience different time frames?( i don't care how small the different time frame is either)
you would both experience the normal passage of time but YOU would see the rest of the world moving strangely.

Take away the law that i can't reach the speed of light

frankin garcia said:
So, you want to know what the theory that says you can't reach the speed of light will predict if you ignore it and say you do reach the speed of light? You'll see invisible purple unicorns or whatever else you want to imagine that also doesn't exist.

Hopefully, you see your question is a self-contradiction...

Likes HallsofIvy and Stephanus
frankin garcia said:
What do you do when the traffic light shows blue? You cannot take away only one statement of a self consistent theory (in particular a statement which is derived from the theory's basic assumptions) and expect the theory to give you an answer. It is logically inconsistent.

Also, we are constantly traveling forward in time. I am doing it and you are doing it right now. The problem comes when you want to go back.

russ_watters said:
You'll see invisible purple unicorns
That's bizarre, everybody knows the invisible unicorn is pink.

Likes Stephanus
russ_watters said:
So, you want to know what the theory that says you can't reach the speed of light will predict if you ignore it and say you do reach the speed of light? You'll see invisible purple unicorns or whatever else you want to imagine that also doesn't exist.

Hopefully, you see your question is a self-contradiction...
Why always unicorn?

Stephanus said:
Why always unicorn?

Standard convention for historical reasons. :wink:

Stephanus said:
Why always unicorn?
Invisible Pink Unicorn

The original question has been answered and the thread is slipping off-topic. I am therefore going to close the thread.

Likes frankin garcia

1. How is it possible to travel at 3,000,001 m/s?

Traveling at 3,000,001 m/s is theoretically possible using advanced technologies such as a spaceship with a powerful engine or a wormhole. However, it is currently impossible with our current technology and understanding of physics.

2. Can traveling at 3,000,001 m/s lead to time travel?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative to the speed of an object. As an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for that object. Therefore, traveling at 3,000,001 m/s could potentially lead to time travel.

3. Does traveling at 3,000,001 m/s mean going back in time?

No, traveling at 3,000,001 m/s would not necessarily mean going back in time. It would simply mean experiencing time at a slower rate compared to someone or something not traveling at that speed.

4. What are the potential dangers of traveling at 3,000,001 m/s?

Traveling at such a high speed could potentially have dangerous consequences such as increased radiation exposure, collisions with objects in space, and the effects of time dilation on the human body.

5. Is there any evidence of time travel at 3,000,001 m/s?

As of now, there is no concrete evidence of time travel at 3,000,001 m/s. The speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 m/s, is currently the fastest known speed in the universe. However, scientists continue to explore the possibilities of time travel and its implications.