Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What if a person on earth travels 3,000,001 m/s

1. Aug 2, 2015 #1
    would that person go into the future?why? also if i travel 1,000,000 m/s on earth and my friend travels 20m/s per second on earth would we experience 2 different time frame? so basically the second question is if someone travels a different speed than me on earth whether the difference of speed is drastic or minuscule would we experience different time frames?( i dont care how small the different time frame is either)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2015 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

ithink you mean 300,000 km/s or 300,000,000 metres per second.

No. It is impossible to reach that speed in the way you mean it.
    you would both experience the normal passage of time but YOU would see the rest of the world moving strangely.

4. Aug 2, 2015 #3
    Take away the law that i can't reach the speed of light

5. Aug 2, 2015 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

So, you want to know what the theory that says you can't reach the speed of light will predict if you ignore it and say you do reach the speed of light? You'll see invisible purple unicorns or whatever else you want to imagine that also doesn't exist.

Hopefully, you see your question is a self-contradiction...

6. Aug 3, 2015 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you do when the traffic light shows blue? You cannot take away only one statement of a self consistent theory (in particular a statement which is derived from the theory's basic assumptions) and expect the theory to give you an answer. It is logically inconsistent.

Also, we are constantly travelling forward in time. I am doing it and you are doing it right now. The problem comes when you want to go back.

That's bizarre, everybody knows the invisible unicorn is pink.

7. Aug 3, 2015 #6
    Why always unicorn?

8. Aug 3, 2015 #7

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Standard convention for historical reasons. :wink:

9. Aug 3, 2015 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Invisible Pink Unicorn

The original question has been answered and the thread is slipping off-topic. I am therefore going to close the thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook