Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What if light could only travel at 50km/hr?

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    Has anyone ever wondered how life would be different if light could only travel at 50km/hr?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, definitely not something I ever thought about. :tongue:

4. Oct 3, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yes I have. Then i thoguth of something else.

5. Oct 3, 2005 #4
    Life probably wouldn't exist, just think of how close we would still be to all other matter in the universe....

6. Oct 3, 2005 #5

Mk

There's this whole website about that, it has flash models of blinking streetlamps and moving streetcars, and what they would look like if light were different speeds.

Its good.

7. Oct 3, 2005 #6

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Cars travelling at 60 would be very accident prone.

8. Oct 3, 2005 #7

Mk

Well, the speed limit's already 50, so they're speeding.

9. Oct 3, 2005 #8
    If light could only travel at 50km/hr, then this is a maximum speed and hence nothing can travel faster than it. I am guessing that the effects of relativity would become much more noticeable and space travel would be impossible because the escape velocity of the earth would exceed the speed of light. As for computers, internet, mobile phones or anything else electronic, they'd be so slow that 'patience' would get a whole new meaning.

10. Oct 3, 2005 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I hate to break this to you, but light can already travel at 7 m/s, or even 0 m/s! Lena Hau has done tons of work on this. The caveat, of course, is that these are all in atomic gasses that has been EM-induced to be transparent.

Why did you post this in GD? You wish to receive creative and amusing answers? The crackpot rules.... er... I mean Posting Guidelines still apply even in GD.

Zz.

11. Oct 3, 2005 #10

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Pssh, the speed limit on motorways is 70mph here :cool:

12. Oct 3, 2005 #11
    70mph if your a big fat truck, a caravan or just a big sissy girl. To anyone else its at least 90mph.

13. Oct 3, 2005 #12

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?