Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What if matter is collapsed space?

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    What if matter (at least its higgs part) was nothing more than a nugget of collapsed space?

For simplicity of this exercise, if I may, let’s visualize fabric of space built of one-dimensional strings connected to each other on ends, at least to 3 at the time, creating 3D net of interconnected strings. Strings are elastic, can stretch and pull, bend and push, they could, if bent a lot twist itself into tight coils. The ability of space fabric to fold tight or coil up have essential place in my hypothesis. There might be actually a small threshold when, under pressure, string’s repulsive state is overcome and it collapses quickly into, let’s say, a coil.

During first moments of universe’s life the pressure or high energy has overcome the repulsive strength of space strings, collapsing many of them into tight folds. Some of them, together with their coiled neighbors, have collapsed into stable configuration, creating matter particles made of many coild fibers. The collapsed strings would never lose connections/connection points with surrounding space, which consists of still unfolded strings.

If you still with me, after reading this incredible proposition, you might ask “How the heck this matter can move through space, if it is trapped in space, and without ripping the space when it moves?”
    Now, if my explanation works, it will be a beaut. The matter, the collapsed space nuggets, unfolds its coils in opposite direction to the direction the move, and at same time collapses new strings into coils in the direction it moves. It moves through fabric of space, in a way of folding it and unfolding it. Fabric stays in place, but matter moves continuously unfolding and folding the fibers of space. Same amount of strings is being collapsed with every “step”, as being unfolded at the other end, preserving a stable configuration of space nugget. In other words, when matter moves through space, space folds into matter, and matter unfolds into space, in rather smooth and continues process.
    Do you remember old screen saver called lens effect, or magnifying glass? One could see moving circle over a background picture. The circle was nothing more than a distorted background, a stretched background forming an effect of a lens. It is similar to my vision of matter moving through space, though it would rather condense space around itself instead.

Few consequences:
    - Mater is a collapsed space.
    - Law of conserving energy is obeyed. Same amount of energy is used in folding new strings, as gained by unfolding them. It can move forever through space, without loss of energy or speed.
    - It explains gravity, as it condenses the space/neighboring strings towards the folded strings of space/matter.
    - It explains, when matter disintegrates (under collision or unstable form) into “nothing” it releasing only energy. Energy used in collapsing space would be equal energy released upon disintegration. Mater=Energy.
    - No extra particles needed; higgs, graviton or gluon.
    - Time could be a property of a string too, which could be defined as time delay, or quantum of time/tick of a string, that takes to send energy from one string to its neighbor.
    - In this type of movement, moving space will not affect matter and vice versa, unless possibly in colossal physical bodies.
    - It explains why matter behaves like a wave function.
    - I assumed that there are few stable folds of space, states of matter, depending on configuration of folded strings (geometry of folds plus negative-positive forces of strings may play a major role), they would explain masses of different stable particles.
    - Has potential to explain spontaneous popping up matte in unstable forms, common in quantum physics. Just give space some energy or gravity waves.

On a side note, I really wish I have computer modeling program able to run millions or billions of strings to figure out if this model of space/matter is possible and under what conditions or string’s properties, random string connections, and even with different fields on string’s ends, and of various intensities.

If my premise is wrong, I hope you found it at least entertaining. I realize it is a very primitive and simple look encompassing only rudimentary matter, space and gravity at quantum level, or below it, lol.
    I welcome comments and critique. I’m very curious how viable or plainly unrealistic my vision of space is. If it has no future I don’t want to waste too much time building it up.

PS.
    In case I didn’t do a good job explaining, because I’m afraid, it is not my best skill, here I try again: Let’s say we have a particle of matter consisting of 1000 folded strings. All the strings coiled inside this matter are still connected to unfolded/normal strings in surrounding space. Just because some strings collapsed, it doesn’t mean that they ruptured any connections. Now, let’s give this matter a little push, to move it through space. This foreword movement will fold strings/space in front, pilling them on “top” of our nugget. Same action will pull the coiled stings from the back of nugget, unfolding them into space, which is made of unfolded strings. In this matter nugget there are always roughly same amount of strings folded at any time, holding this nugget stable. This type of movement will not require plowing matter through space, like car through the air. Matter can move through space, and space can move through matter without affecting each other, at least much. Actually observer wouldn’t know which one is moving or not, very relativistic in nature.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted