Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What if people could hear your thoughts?

1. Jun 18, 2004 #1
    What would you do if you couldnt stop poeple from hearing ALL your thoughts... and no.. you cant say I would stop speaking and just write things down... it is something you cant stop, unless you stop thinking =-P :eek:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2004 #2

Science Advisor

The question isn't what I would do, it is what they would do.

Then they would turn their stereo up.

4. Jun 18, 2004 #3

jimmy p

Gold Member

I think that I would get a lot of disgusted looks from people. :wink: :rofl:
  5. Jun 18, 2004 #4

Staff: Mentor

I'd be fired from my job. :frown:
  6. Jun 18, 2004 #5
    I'd have my face slapped by every women that crossed my path.
    I wonder if the Cistercian Monks have a vow of silent thought to go along with their vow of silence.
  7. Jun 18, 2004 #6
    I'd get slapped by all girls that happen to be walking by.

P.S. Sorry Robert, I didn't realized you thought that way, too.
  8. Jun 18, 2004 #7
    That would suck. I'd be suspended from school. If people think I swear a lot talking, they'd be surprised how much I curse in my thoughts.

Then again, if everyone could hear my thoughts, they'd realize how brilliant I am, I'd be King of The World and everyone would bow to me!

:grumpy: :rofl: :approve: :devil:
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
  9. Jun 18, 2004 #8

... you know.. I was expecting to hear a response like that -.-
  10. Jun 19, 2004 #9
    Then people would be bored. or lost.
  11. Jun 19, 2004 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm pretty sure that society as we know it could not exist with telepathy. Douglas Adams, IIRC, agrees. Much of our social interaction is centered around politeness, which is a nice way of saying white lies for the benefit of others.

- Warren
  12. Jun 19, 2004 #11
    At least people would be honest
  13. Jun 19, 2004 #12
    Me, I'd invent a device that keeps them from hearing my thoughts. After spending long months in solitude so they won't be there to hear me swear at them.
    Then I'd sell my device and make millions.
  14. Jun 19, 2004 #13

Science Advisor

"Honey, does this dress make me look fat?"

"No, dear." Those cartons of French vanilla ice cream you've been scarfing down are what make you look fat.
  15. Jun 19, 2004 #14
    I actually meant.. for you to be the only person who has this 'problem' =-P
  16. Jun 19, 2004 #15
    Yes, I think I see where your going, a scrambler chip imbedded in your noggin. But wait, some sinister sob will invent a device to unscramble your scrambler. Oh well, the sob is welcome to my thoughts. There's nothing but illogical, structureless crap spewing from my brain.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  17. Jun 19, 2004 #16
    If everyone could hear our thoughts, how would we lie?

Some of us have a real talent for lying.
  18. Jun 19, 2004 #17
    LOL. There was a secretary where I worked that would wolf down an entire BBQ chicken for lunch and never come up for air. She would then wash it all down with a diet coke. I use to think to myself, 'that diet coke is really going to make all the difference in the world'.
  19. Jun 20, 2004 #18
    Euphoriet, I suffer with hallucinations from a type of schizophrenia. There are times when my reality includes others "talking at" me with impunity, whereas my thoughts are privy to and censored by all others. People "reading" one's thoughts could be described as "mind-rape." If you experience these phenomena, I suggest you ask your internist for a referral to a psychiatrist for an evaluation. With meds and therapy, the disease can be treated; without, repeated hospitalizations and jailings; homelessness and estrangement; or debility, violence and suicide are often the alternative.

My illness was precipitated (not caused) by LSD at age 19, when I had to drop out of Yale. Schizophrenia is a no-fault, biologically based, and mostly treatable brain disease. For more info, try http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Se...TaggedPageDisplay.cfm&TPLID=3&ContentID=10850, http://www.nmha.org/infoctr/factsheets/51.cfm, orhttp://www.psychguides.com/pfg15.php.

Do well and succeed!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?