Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What if speed of light was Faster? Would TIME travel be prohibited?

1. Jan 1, 2004 #1
    A recent post of slower than normal speed of light brought to mind "what If" light speed was faster. C being a constant, if it increased say by 10x, would the sun output be a 100 fold increase?
    Also, it makes me question TIME travel. If one were to travel into the future, would there be a relationship to the speed of TIME (in this supposition, faster than normal speed of light), thereby causing the TIME traveler to incinerate?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Would time speed up if light did? I don't think so but it might seem that way. The light year would be longer, and the basic length of a four-vector in SR (squared) is [tex]c^2t^2 - x^2 - y^2 - z^2[/tex], so the time component of any force or momentum would be greater. I haven't thought enough to see all the implications. Think about [tex]e = mc^2[/tex]!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?