Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What IF there is no God

1. Jul 8, 2003 #1
    "What IF " there is no God

IF there is no GOD/creator,
    then how to explain the existance of life and this universe?

Can you explain scientifically and logically , how things/lives can exist independent of GOD.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2003 #2
    Can you do the same for the existence of god?

4. Jul 9, 2003 #3
    if there is a God like that in bible, i can't survive till now, he could have killed me already.

5. Jul 9, 2003 #4
    how to explain the universe and exitence. please tell me you have heard of:
    A)the big bang theory,
    B)charles darwins "origin of the species"
    C)evolution

if not go study,

also could you please give some concrete proof for the exitence of god, that does not require me to have blind faith[?]

thank you and kind regards

the DR of DEATH

6. Jul 9, 2003 #5
    I have postulated that Consciousness is the source of gravity.

7. Jul 9, 2003 #6
    oh? care to elaborate?

8. Jul 9, 2003 #7
    Re: "What IF " there is no God

it is pretty much as drdeath said, with the addition of an understanding of probobility, and chemical compounds (especially those present in warm seas of our creation (i've forgotten the term used to describe it-- was it the something soup?). the "falling together" of these chemicals out of which the first life was formed was a very improboble event, but in a universe as big as ours it isn't so unlikely. we're just lucky that it happened to us. (see the Weak Anthropic Prinsiple for further ideas).

9. Jul 9, 2003 #8
    I know where this is going so let's just save a few pages of thread here...

We'll say, evolution, you say "but why?", we'll say star formation, you'll say "but why?", we'll say big bang, you'll say "but why?" and finally we'll say...

We have no idea why existence exists - and neither do you. Making up fairy tales to explain it so that you can pretend that you DO know doesn't get us anywhere. It could have very easily been some unexplainable mindless natural phenomenon that has "always been" and, in fact, the odds of this seem more likely to me than the odds of it being some powerful entity with a human-like personhood to it, or even a living entity at all.

The most mature thing would be to realize that none of us know such a fundamental thing - and it's very likely humanity itself will never know or be able to prove either way. That won't stop wishful thinkers from creating their own "gods of the moment" as centuries go by though.

But as for me, I don't question what the meaning of life is. I've already decided what the meaning of my life will be - the question has been answered, period. None of the above will change or affect that in the least, so at most, the god question is an entertaining but irrelevant subject.

10. Jul 9, 2003 #9
    Hmmm...having a problem seeing how that is possible. Would you care to expound?

11. Jul 9, 2003 #10
    Re: "What IF " there is no God

The probability of the Universe's coming into existence in all of it's current complexity and slendor, without intelligent intervention of any kind, is exactly 100%, provided you've got infinite time to do it in. Not much debate needed, when we realize that, given enough time, it is in fact impossible for this Universe not to have come about on it's own.

12. Jul 9, 2003 #11
    Re: Re: "What IF " there is no God

true, but remember, before the universe there was not even time. it is pointless to describe what happened (or rather what didn't happen) before the universe in terms such as "there was nothing, and then there was something, as there was no time before the universe. it's almost paradoxial, isn't it?

13. Jul 9, 2003 #12
    Re: Re: Re: "What IF " there is no God

I was actually using an infinite-space-with-local-expansion model, but, if I had been talking about a finite space model, you would be correct (except for the part about "there was nothing and then...", that's just nonsensical, since there was no time when there wasn't anything (IOW, there didn't "come to be" something, but it has always been).

14. Jul 10, 2003 #13
    yes but can you exsplain where the energy and the big bang originated form or what was there before.

15. Jul 10, 2003 #14
    we do not need to as far as i know it was something to do with either chaos theory, quantum theory, or the laws of probobility, maybe a mix of all three. who knows, who cares. you cant proove the exitence of god, we can prove almost all of the science involved.

16. Jul 10, 2003 #15
    Yep.

17. Jul 10, 2003 #16
    Re: Re: "What IF " there is no God

I should have saved that quote about how the internet proves that a million monkeys, given enough time, will NOT compose the Declaration of Independence.

Then I'm reminded of those miners who were trapped last year and were rescued by the arduous efforts of a hundred people. Then, when one of them was brought to the surface, he had the stupidity to say "Well, I guess it just wasn't my time to go."

I know there's a point here somewhere.

Finders keepers? (?)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2003
  18. Jul 10, 2003 #17
    Re: Re: Re: "What IF " there is no God

Not if you accept the word "eternal" and see the Universe as same.

19. Jul 10, 2003 #18
    Say more.

20. Jul 10, 2003 #19
    Maxius, I agree almost completely with one slight exception.
    Why is the pure speculation of religion a fairy tale and pure speculation of nonrelion, science, any more than a fairy tale.
    A fairy tale is a fairy tale no matter who tells it.

Mentat, If you are willing to believe that the probabily of a endless series of extremely improbable events happening in the right order at the right time to create the known universe is 100%, then why is the existence of a God/Creator any harder or more unlikely to believe. To me it is simply a matter of personal choice. You would rather believe that you are an improbable accident while I perfer to believe that I am an inevitable result of purpose and intent.

M. Gaspar, me too.

21. Jul 10, 2003 #20
    ooooh nice snappy reply there gasper nice going.

i'll let you have the joy of explaining it to the simpletons

chow

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?