What if you claim a PhD and don't have one

• Thread starter silkworm
  • Start date
I highly doubt that mere claims to a degree are illegal. Generally the worst case scenario is that the person gets fired, looses their credibility, and is publicly shamed. If the person TRULY IS more competent than their phony degree implied, then it might be possible to save their job.

It might be illegal in a few special circumstances:

1 ) Significant damage is caused to a school's, organizations, company's, etc's reputation or financial situation

2 ) The deception resulted in harm or damage to some one or something. For instance, if you claim to have a degree in civil engineering and you then oversee the construction of a $30 million bridge and that bridge collapses and kills people. In this situation you might be liable.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Evo said:
"A recently released U.S. General Accounting Office study identified 28 senior federal executives who claimed bogus degrees from diploma mills. In eight agencies examined, GAO inspectors found 463 federal employees with fake college degrees. Some of the illicit degrees were paid for with tax dollars. The GAO's report noted that despite the seemingly large number of resume frauds it identified, "this number is believed to be an understatement." Three of the twenty-eight senior officials worked in the National Nuclear Security Administration, with top-secret security clearances and "emergency operations responsibilities." The government's response: so far, only one of the frauds identified by the GAO has been forced to resign."

That's incredible, do they not do simple background checks on these people?
Apparently not. Perhaps this is part of the effort to cut costs and save the taxpayer money. :rolleyes: Somehow I doubt it though. I haven't been impressed by the integrity of the current administration. Maybe its a matter of "don't ask and don't tell", or "don't ask and 'make up' ".

When I was a grad student, I used to get interviewed at least once a year by some guy from the Defense Investigative Service. He was pretty thorough about the people he was investigating, since some of my colleagues went to places like LLNL, SNL, LANL, ORNL and PNNL, where some of the work was classified. In fact, I was interviewed on behalf of one of my professors.