Choosing Classes for Junior Year: Engineering & Medical Schools Concerns

In summary: I don't know what to do. I'm really stuck.In summary, the freshman in high school is considering taking Honors Chemistry this year. However, she is worried about the difficulty of the course and the possibility of getting a low grade. She is also worried about the effects of a low grade on her chances of getting into a good college. She has three options for next year: taking AP Computer Science, taking AP Stats, or taking regular classes in astronomy and other regular science classes.
AznBoi
Here's the deal: I'm currently a sophomore in high school and I need to choose my classes for junior year. I've made a thread like this, but I'm addressing a newer issue here. I'm taking AP Physics B this year and that is the only AP/Honors class I have taken so far.

Here's what I've signed up for next year (junior year):

AP Calc AB
AP Bio
APUSH
APES
Honors English 11
Honors Chemistry (Highest Chemistry class at our school)
Spanish 2

However, the Honors Chemistry course is pretty hard from what I've heard. Most people get C's, good students (even a ranked 1 person) got a 90%. Only 3 people have A's out of 70 students. Many FAIL. I've heard this from a variety of students taking it this year: The teacher doesn't teach at all, he gives labs often and these take up a lot of time to do (they are a big part of your grade), he gives hard pop quizzes and extremely hard tests. About the hard pop quizzes and extremely hard tests, no one knows what to study for because he doesn't give you any study guide or tell you what to study for, the questions are mostly conceptual based and many questions aren't even in the book (?), it's like: if you do this to ____ what happens? why are ____ stinky?... That's what I've heard from other people.

I'm dreading this teacher but I do want to take the class for knowledge. Does it really matter if I take it in my junior or senior year? Do engineering/medical colleges generally want to see you take a chemistry class before you apply? I REALLY don't know what to do here and I'm spending a lot of time deciding. Will I have more time senior year to spend more time in harder classes? I might take a SAT early in my senior year. It's just that with all these AP classes (my hardest course load yet), SATs(planning to prep a lot before) and SAT IIs(taking in october), and even AP exams, I don't know if I will have enough time to get a good grade in chemistry.If I take Chemistry in my junior year, I most likely will get B's in both semesters, mabye even C's (depending on how I cope with next years classes). Will getting C's drastically affect my chances at top schools?

I'm planning to apply to UCB, UCLA, Stanford as a engineering, medical major. Please help me to decide on this problem. To colleges know actually how hard your school courses are? I've heard something about counselors sending information about class rigor from your school to colleges. Is this true for every school? Should I find out? (lol) I just don't want colleges to see that I'm "whipping out" by taking the hardest science class in my senior year. Does it really matter? Gah, I hate the admissions process=[ I'm really worried. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So do you think it is better to take a class like AP chem junior year or senior year?? Also, colleges do care about your grades senior year right? Generally, do people have harder courses scheduled for junior year or senior year? Also, if I take Chemistry Honors I would really have to worry about taking the AP exam, this is a pro over AP comp sci. where colleges would prefer you taking an exam right?

My senior year is probably going to be:

AP English 12
AP Econ
AP Amer. Govt.
AP Comp. Sci <-- switch this with chemistry honors? (look below)
AP Stats/AP Music Theory (mabye neither)
Spanish 3
Astronomy & Earth Science

And no, not taking chemistry in my junior year will not deprive me of any options for my senior year.

Here are my three options that I could choose in place of Chem H:

AP Computer Science <-- I'm interested. Same teacher as Chem H though, and if he doesn't teach I'm probably going to get a 3. A little easier than Chem H , however and the tests/quizzes are suppposedly curved sometimes.

AP Stats <-- seems boring but the teacher is EXCELLENT, I mean she actually teaches and gives you tons of work at the same time (Almost everyone passes the AP exams). This class could also prep me for SATs?? I'm not sure if enough people are signing up for it however.

Astronomy and other regular science classes.

Colleges *definitely* care about your grades in your senior year. The classic example of this was Mark Edmonson, a student who applied to UNC with perfect SAT scores and was accepted, only to have his offer of admission recinded when he got bad grades in his senior year. (He sued the university, which is why you can google and find this story all over the web.)

Anyway, the real answer to the original question is... take whatever interests you the most. I promise you, there is no university in the known universe that cares which year you took what AP course, as long as you're working hard and doing well.

1. What classes should I take for junior year if I want to pursue engineering or medical school?

For engineering, it is important to take classes in math, physics, and chemistry as these are foundational subjects for the field. Additionally, courses in computer science and engineering design can also be beneficial. For medical school, it is important to take classes in biology, chemistry, physics, and math, as well as courses in psychology and sociology to fulfill pre-med requirements.

2. Are there any specific classes that are highly recommended for engineering or medical school?

Some recommended classes for engineering include calculus, differential equations, and mechanics. For medical school, courses in organic chemistry, biochemistry, and anatomy are highly recommended. It is also beneficial to take advanced classes in your chosen field of engineering or medicine to show a strong interest and dedication.

3. Should I prioritize taking classes related to my intended major or focus on completing pre-requisite courses?

This depends on your individual situation and goals. If you are confident in your chosen major and have already fulfilled pre-requisite requirements, it may be beneficial to focus on more advanced classes in your field. However, if you are still exploring your options or have not completed pre-requisite courses, it is important to prioritize those classes.

4. Is it important to have a balanced schedule with a mix of science, math, and humanities courses?

Having a balanced schedule with a variety of courses can be beneficial for both engineering and medical school. While it is important to take science and math courses for these fields, having a well-rounded education can also demonstrate critical thinking skills and a broad understanding of different subjects.

5. Are there any classes I should avoid taking for my junior year if I plan on applying to engineering or medical schools?

It is generally recommended to avoid taking too many easy or non-challenging classes, as this may not demonstrate academic rigor. Additionally, it is important to avoid taking on too heavy of a course load, as maintaining a good GPA is also important for these competitive fields. It is also recommended to avoid classes that do not align with your intended major or career goals.