Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What implies correlation?

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    If I have three scalar random variables: [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex], which are each zero-mean and have some nonzero variances, and I know:

1) The correlation between [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] is nonzero.

2) The correlation between [itex]b[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] is nonzero.

Does this imply that the correlation between [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] is nonzero?

I feel like the answer must be yes, but I don't have any sound mathematical reasoning for it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Simple counterexample: Suppose that a and c are uncorrelated random variables each with zero mean and nonzero variance and suppose that bac, with α and γ non-zero constants. By construction, b is correlated with each of a and c, but a and c are (by construction) uncorrelated.

4. Nov 10, 2011 #3
    Many thanks for clearing that up so elegantly. It's easy when you know how!

5. Nov 10, 2011 #4
    Perhaps I can develop my understanding of a similar problem here without starting a new topic:

If, again, I have three scalar random variables [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] which are each zero-mean and have some nonzero variances... and in this case [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] are uncorrelated:

[itex]\mathcal{E} \left\{ ab^*\right\} = 0[/itex]

where [itex]\mathcal{E}\left\{\right\}[/itex] denotes expectation and [itex]*[/itex] denotes complex conjugate (although the variables probably need not be complex for this example).

What I'd like to know is whether, in general, we can find a [itex]c[/itex] which can sort of 'recorrelate' [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex]:

[itex]\mathcal{E}\left\{ cab^*\right\} > 0[/itex]

I can't seem to find such a case using numerical examples in Matlab, but I'd really like to figure out a proper mathematical approach to this. Any advice or insights would be very much appreciated!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook