What Motivates Scientists to Pursue Their Research?

• Thread starter PiRsq
  • Start date
In summary: I think it was just a matter of time before I got where I am now.For me, it's a combination of requirements in my profession, presenting myself with a challenge, and (most of all) natural curiosity.After receiving my degree in Radiology, it became a requirement to provide evidence of continuing education. I enjoy it quite a lot. Then I started taking classes (trig, advanced Spanish, etc.) to provide myself with additional challenges. I became interested in horticulture and took most of the courses required for a degree, although I never obtained it. The degree didn't matter to me. The classes DID. Now I am going to be taking classes
PiRsq
What field of study are you studying now and what inspires you to keep going? No jokes, seriously...

Physics news on Phys.org
I went back to school in my late twenties and obtained a B.S. in physics. Since I already had an established career, this required no small sacrifice. For me, I started out [not knowing this] needing to prove to myself and everyone else that I could do this. In the end though, it was my love for the subject that pushed me through the wee hours of the night. I wanted to understand this stuff and I wasn't going to quit. QED!

Ivan Seejing, i was wondering what make you want to go back to school in your late twenties?

Originally posted by totoro
Ivan Seejing, i was wondering what make you want to go back to school in your late twenties?

By age twenty five I was effectively at the top of my field. I was already at the max rate of pay and I hated my job. As a hobby, I continued to study physics - which I had always loved - since high school. Also, I had always intended to go back to school, but a regular job and life in general has a way of permanently delaying plans. So, I finally decided that it was now or never.

For me it's a combination of requirements in my profession, presenting myself with a challenge, and (most of all) natural curiosity.
After receiving my degree in Radiology, it became a requirement to provide evidence of continuing education. I enjoy it quite a lot. Then I started taking classes (trig, advanced Spanish, etc.) to provide myself with additional challenges. I became interested in horticulture and took most of the courses required for a degree, although I never obtained it. The degree didn't matter to me. The classes DID. Now I am going to be taking classes on things like Philosophy, Cultural Anthropology, History, World Religions...that's the natural curiosity part. I LOVE school. I never want to stop.

Like a madman in a Doestoyevski novel, just plain obsession. I used to be addicted to alcohol.

Originally posted by PiRsq
What inspires you to learn?

Not knowing...

well. since I am in high school. id say the law does it. haha. some classes are fun. (physics is not necesarily one of them) just hang out.

Ignorance...:wink:

I started back to school for a degree in Mechanical Engineering at age 45. A little old to go back to school, but I'm doing better now then I ever did in grade school or high school.

What inspired me? Usually, I learn what I need to know, to do what I want to do. An example would be grammar. I was terrible at grammar, then I decided to write plays and a novel, so I had to learn to be at least somewhat grammatically correct. When I do research for something I am writing I learn about that.

I started back to school because my dad offered to finance my degree. I already taught myself what I needed to know to do my job, (I work as a mechanical engineer already) so going to school is mainly just to get that piece of paper. I am learning the nuts and bolts of what I do however, and doing the math is far less of a struggle now.

I'm a double major in Physics and Mathematics (My math professors make fun of my physics professors and vice versa. I want to bridge that gap and win the Nobel prize in Physics AND in peace (and maybe the Field's Medal)).

What inspires me to learn is the realization of my own ignorance and when I talk to my professors. I'm awestruck by them.

Oh, and when I think about it all the people that use to give me a hard time in high school, I'm even more determined to get ahead.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
By age twenty five I was effectively at the top of my field. I was already at the max rate of pay and I hated my job. As a hobby, I continued to study physics - which I had always loved - since high school. Also, I had always intended to go back to school, but a regular job and life in general has a way of permanently delaying plans. So, I finally decided that it was now or never.

I can sympathize with you there. I am in the same boat. By 24 or 25 I was at the "top" of what I do. I could have gone higher, and did for a short period of time, but hatred of the job pushed me back down to where I am now, only to find that I hate what I do now even more. Network engineering eats up your life until you have none, and I can do what I do now with my eyes closed.

That's why I'm going back to school at 28, and not looking back :wink:

Oh, and what drives me? Boredom and thirst for knowledge. When I find something that interests me, I learn everything there is to know about it.

Last edited:
You never see them in the same place at once

Originally posted by cyberpanties
Not knowing...
Originally posted by drag
Ignorance...:wink:

Hm hm. Nearly identical answers: semantically equivalent, concise, trailed off by the uncertain tone of trailing ellipses. Furthermore, we see from their respective profiles that these two "different" posters just happen to be situated in the selfsame locale of "(the) universe."

Ladies and gentlemen, this shocking evidence once and for all proves my age old theory that drag (queen? ) moonlights on Physics Forums under the pseudonym "cyberpanties"! This, despite the firm protestation to be found in his very own biography: "I'm a guy ;-)"

*an uneasy background murmur arises from the disturbed crowd*

Originally posted by hypnagogue
Hm hm. Nearly identical answers: semantically equivalent, concise, trailed off by the uncertain tone of trailing ellipses. Furthermore, we see from their respective profiles that these two "different" posters just happen to be situated in the selfsame locale of "(the) universe."

Ladies and gentlemen, this shocking evidence once and for all proves my age old theory that drag (queen? ) moonlights on Physics Forums under the pseudonym "cyberpanties"! This, despite the firm protestation to be found in his very own biography: "I'm a guy ;-)"

*an uneasy background murmur arises from the disturbed crowd*
You should seek professional psychiatric help... :wink:

Besides my real answer is fun (- my ultimate and practicly
only goal - I just like discovering strange new worlds,
going beyond the final frontier, exploiting the empty
grey matter, fighting Klingons in hand to hand combat and...
Hmm... I think I got carried away a bit... )
And money - the best known tool to have fun.

But, such answers are less likely to put me in a favourable
light here...:wink: So I'll stick with the "ignorance" thing...

Peace and long life.

You should seek professional psychiatric help... :wink:
I've tried this on a whim several times, but inexplicably all the psychiatrists invariably wind up asking me for help. Ah, they are such a fickle and demanding lot. I'd much rather spend my time wondering about spectral anomalies and the like. :wink:

I've tried this on a whim several times, but inexplicably all the psychiatrists invariably wind up asking me for help.
Ha Ha
I've never tried it, but I know for sure the result would be
the same. :wink:
Ah, they are such a fickle and demanding lot. I'd much rather spend my time wondering about spectral anomalies and the like. :wink:
Hmm... No offense, but depending on your sex I could
take that as either a challenge or something else...
Why don't we stick to the "normal" PF subjects, shall we...

Why don't we stick to the "normal" PF subjects, shall we...

Right. Back to the hot cartoons!

1. What is the importance of inspiration in learning?

Inspiration plays a crucial role in learning as it motivates and drives individuals to engage in the process of gaining knowledge and acquiring new skills. It also helps to increase curiosity and interest, making the learning experience more enjoyable and effective.

2. How do you find inspiration to learn?

Inspiration can be found in a variety of ways such as through personal experiences, role models, curiosity, challenges, and passions. It is important to explore different sources of inspiration to find what works best for you.

3. Can inspiration be learned or developed?

Yes, inspiration can be learned and developed. It is a mindset that can be cultivated through self-reflection, setting goals, and exposing oneself to new experiences and ideas. By actively seeking inspiration, one can become more motivated and driven to learn.

4. How does inspiration impact the learning process?

Inspiration can have a significant impact on the learning process. When individuals are inspired, they are more likely to have a positive attitude towards learning, be more engaged and focused, and retain information better. It can also lead to higher levels of creativity and critical thinking.

5. Can inspiration lead to successful learning outcomes?

Absolutely. Inspiration is a powerful force that can help individuals achieve their learning goals and reach their full potential. When individuals are inspired, they are more likely to persist through challenges, embrace learning opportunities, and ultimately achieve success in their learning journey.